Mercruiser Controls

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, was wondering if anyone can better identify this "Mer Control" control box. Looking for maybe a more specific name, model, whatever you know about it. It is off a 1974 Starcraft Chieftain but may not be original equipment. Single lever control for single engine Mercruiser 188. Casting says Mercury Marine on it. Thanks in advance for any info!IMG_20221001_133748__01.jpgIMG_20221001_133800__01.jpgIMG_20221001_132509__01.jpgIMG_20231106_142650.jpgIMG_20231106_143943.jpg

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Reason being I am trying to source the special little pin and tiny clip (pictured) that the cable end needs for it to work again.

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reason being I am trying to source the special little pin and tiny clip (pictured) that the cable end needs for it to work again.
I have a very similar control connected to 1974 140, although it is not the helm mount type, but rather a starboard side mount where only the arm is outside the side panel. The portion behind the panel, looks very much like yours. Over the years, I bought a couple of old ones on eBay, as well as a complete unit from Seaway Marine, seaway marine.com. They have lots of NOS parts from this vintage. It would be well worth the time to check with them for your part. I still have the old units laying in my stash, but it is all in my shed up at the lake, far away and closed for the winter, which does you no good right now. I do recall the part you are describing being easy to lose, and I had to borrow the piece from the stash to put on the new unit.

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
An eBay search for Mercontrol shows your unit (binnacle mount, not helm
mount, as I called it) and the side mount. A bit spendy just to get your part.

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check out marineengine.com and go to remote controls, 1985 and below. Your remote looks like #68832a1, and the pin looks like #13 on the diagram, which is mercruiser part 17-37801, which is available from them, but also several places online with that OEM number. I do not see the clip on the diagram.

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Item #14 in the diagram is mercruiser 18-37809, which is a hairpin, rather than a clip type as shown in your photo. The mercruiser hairpin appears to also be readily available. I got a bit carried away chasing this down, but it was helpful for my application as well.

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class

IslandExplorer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Item #14 in the diagram is mercruiser 18-37809, which is a hairpin, rather than a clip type as shown in your photo. The mercruiser hairpin appears to also be readily available. I got a bit carried away chasing this down, but it was helpful for my application as well.
Well thank you for getting carried away because now we are both a step ahead! I am going to shop around and see if I can find a parts binnacle like you did, seems like a good idea in case I lose any other parts! The thing was connected and apparently fell out somewhere when I was bringing it inside so seems like keeping a spare onboard would be a good idea too. The tiny clip I have has hardly any tension on that pin at all so maybe they were both just worn out and about to fall out on their own.