mercruiser bravo gimbal ring help

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hello again guys, well here i came across a 1990 seray 250 sundance . all seems well so far, but the gimbal ring has a problem. the two hinge pins bolt is loose . the pins are snug in the bellows but by shaking the drive you can clearly see space around the ping. are there any form of bushing i can put on the pins to stop the play , or am i going to have to change the ring which seems like a big job. what danger using the boat like that. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser bravo gimbal ring help

hello again guys, well here i came across a 1990 seray 250 sundance . all seems well so far, but the gimbal ring has a problem. the two hinge pins bolt is loose . the pins are snug in the bellows but by shaking the drive you can clearly see space around the ping. are there any form of bushing i can put on the pins to stop the play , or am i going to have to change the ring which seems like a big job. what danger using the boat like that. thanks

Ayuh,.... If the ring is worn out, 'n corroded,..
Yes, it needs fixin,....

It holds everything in alignment, as well as holdin' the hull on course....
When it holes the bellows, the ship is goin' down...

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys i have a question here is is possible for someone to use the wrong hinge pin in a bellows. does the bravo pin larger than the alpha gen one or gen two?? the upper has no slop only the hinge pins two small. ur thought guys.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

ok guys i thin i found the cause . the ring is missing both hinge pin sleeve . i go to mercstuff and found they have the sleeves and the tool to press them in , thanks

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

i meant hinge pin bushing not sleeve.