Mercruiser Alpha 1 G2 Trim (probably dumb questions!)

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi:
So I'm having a problem where my trim will go all the way up, but won't come down.
- Trim pump motor runs in either direction, so I don't think it's electrical (solenoids, but see my last paragraph).
- Drive will come down slowly if I stand on it, but won't come down on it's own.
- Drive goes up @ normal speed - but if it goes all of the way up (where the pump strains), then I need to release some oil to the rams (@ the manifold), and press the drive down some (by standing on it), before it'll go back down - even when standing on the drive.

I'm wondering if this could be a pump problem - or is there perhaps a valve that is stuck? Do the solenoids actuate the pump motor, or do they actuate some "up & down" valves? I just don't know.

alldodge

Staff member
Could be a pump problem but I would look at the cylinders first
because
but if it goes all of the way up (where the pump strains), then I need to release some oil to the rams

Like most, folks raise the drive till it stops. If folks would bump the down after it stopped going up, this would release the pressure and ease the seals

Pressure is higher going up and less for going down

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like one or both trim cylinder end caps have corroded. Fairly common issue with the gen 2 cylinders. You need to a) pay heed to Dodge's advice above, b) strip the cylinders and replace the end caps.

Chris....