Mercruiser Alpha 1 3.0lx belt-engine squeal issue when trimming / PS fluid question

nrj0122

Recruit
I have seen other posts on belt engine squeal issues....I'm not sure where squeal is coming from....hoping experienced user can help. (also have P.S. fluid question)

Here is pic of my engine
FullSizeRender_1 (2).jpg

From what I read it could be belt. If I traveling along at 'no wake' speed, and try trimming stern drive up or down, it ends up making this load squealing noise. It does not happen if boat is out of the water, engine is not on, and I just trim up and down. I checked the belt and there doesn't seem to be alot of wear or tear on it. not sure how old it is. I can deflect the belt with my finger a good 1/2" , possibly 3/4". But from the picture > looking at the altenator, is already pushed and locked down all the way to the right, and can't slide it any more to the right.....so if I had to tighten belt, I can't tighten it any tighter. Unless i'm thinking of this wrong. how would I tighten it more...if needed to do so? (Slippage of the belt can cause this sound from what I read).

Here is belt
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

How do I get the belt off if I need to replace and where can I find the correct belt I need?

Also, if I insert boat key into ignition and turn it to the right slightly so power is on, just not the engine. My battery gauge reads about 11 (gauge range is from 10-16). Is that an issue or problem?

Finally, on my engine it has a color coded indicator for fluids (I believe for finding the dipsticks)?
Yellow for engine oil
Black for drive oil
Blue for engine coolant ( I don;t have this as it is water cooled)
Red for ATF/PS fluid

My question is on the RED ATF/PS fluid..... I can't find this anywhere..... Do I even have this and how do I know?. (if looking at the engine like you are standing in front of it, as in the pic above)..... I do have a very small resevoir of fluid on the floor, back left of side of engine. What exactly is this for...for the trim?

Here is pic
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd say your belt is either stretched or wrong it should not be bottomed out on adjustment. The squealing could be the belt or trim pump it's tough to tell without hearing it but I would get a new correct belt. You can look it up and buy a new one right here on Iboats, I dunno the part# off the top of my head. As far as changing there's videos on YouTube And yes that your trim reservoir with aft/ps. Also I would look at the manual for your setup in the stickys at the top of this section, I think you will find that very useful and just a suggestion but I wire tied an extra belt to the back of the front motor mount on mine because you have to mess with the motor mount and I didn't want to do that on the water if I broke a belt.

alldodge

Staff member
Your power steering fluid should be Dexron type II or higher (To infinity and beyond LOL). The type V is synthetic and will work just fine. You can no longer find type II or III

The trim pump will squeal when the rams are at their limit. The trim pump has no effect on the load which is applied to the Vee belt other then the change in amp draw from the battery. So if it only happens with trim/tilt it may be normal

Your trim pump should use 10W30 motor oil

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your power steering fluid should be Dexron type II or higher (To infinity and beyond LOL). The type V is synthetic and will work just fine. You can no longer find type II or III

The trim pump will squeal when the rams are at their limit. The trim pump has no effect on the load which is applied to the Vee belt other then the change in amp draw from the battery. So if it only happens with trim/tilt it may be normal

Your trim pump should use 10W30 motor oil

I always thought your trim fluid was atf/ps but that's because my boats had it in there already. I also didn't think about him having power steering, I learn new things from forum all the time. Is there any benefit to using 30w instead of atf?

Last edited:

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I found my answer from one of Don S old posts saying that the oildyne pump doesn't really care whether it's 30w or atf just as long as you don't mix them. He even said Volvo used the same pump and called for atf but mercruiser has always recommend 30w. Man that was one knowledgeable guy! So I guess somebody swapped mine out at one point.