mercruiser 888 overheating...air bubbles in water inlet hose from outdrive

Boatch

Cadet
Re: mercruiser 888 overheating...air bubbles in water inlet hose from outdrive

ok...so I pulled the foot again,and pressure tested the water pump with my muffs and it is still leaking from base at the front of it...I guess I will pull apart for the 3rd time and try to remount it...any help or tips are very welcome...I also used gasket seal on base gasket when I installed...thanks guys.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Well ,that where its sucking air and why I suggested doing the muff test. Remove and inspect the base for any defects. Inspect the area the base mounts for and nicks ,gouges ,imperfections that might cause a leak.Inspect the gasket to see of there are any crush areas or areas with no contact.
Install a new base, correct gasket and "O" ring.
Install pump top cap without the impeller or gaskets
Tighten nuts down untill you feel/see the base go in then "SNUG, PLUS A 1/2 TURN"
Install remaining items,
TEST AGAIN WITH MUFFS BEFORE ASSEMBLING

Boatch

Cadet

ok..will do...thank u...so when I check with muffs there should be no water leaking anywhere from assembly?

Boatch

Cadet

ok....I re did my water pump and pressure tested...no leaks except that little hole up front which I was told is a drain,so no leaks?also pressure tested my water pocket and not a drop of water leaked...going to re install my leg and I will keep posted...thanks guys for help...

Boatch

Cadet

ok...removed the t-stat and took to the lake,and boat is runnin great...thanks guys....

haulnazz15

Captain

ok...removed the t-stat and took to the lake,and boat is runnin great...thanks guys....

Well make sure you put the T-stat back in. It needs the 160-degree thermostat to maintain temperature, don't run it without a t-stat.