Mercruiser 5.7L competition ski squealing noise when driving under load randomly

Jake13492

Recruit
When driving or starting to pull someone out of the water it will make this sound only sometimes not all the time wondering if anyone would have any idea what it might be where I could start looking to find the issue it has a FNR gearbox

Attachments

• RPReplay_Final1705196634.mov
    521.4 KB · Views: 8

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check the alternator belt and power steering level

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have run a 5.7 liter Competition Ski with a Borg Warner velvet drive (fnr) behind a Walter V-Drive for the last 26 years and have fought belt squeal a lot, going through several serpentine belts, but your recording does not sound like belt squeal, although recordings are tough to analyze. Check the gearbox fluid level (Dexron IIl ATF?) dip stick while hot and try to get close to the engine and gearbox to isolate the source of the sound. How many hours on the whole set up? Any reason to suspect shaft alignment?

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have run a 5.7 liter Competition Ski with a Borg Warner velvet drive (fnr) behind a Walter V-Drive for the last 26 years and have fought belt squeal a lot, going through several serpentine belts, but your recording does not sound like belt squeal, although recordings are tough to analyze. Check the gearbox fluid level (Dexron IIl ATF?) dip stick while hot and try to get close to the engine and gearbox to isolate the source of the sound. How many hours on the whole set up? Any reason to suspect shaft alignment?
I have also heard rattling noises when idling too slow in gear that people smarter than me have said are coming from the damper plate, which is attached to the engine flywheel.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have also heard rattling noises when idling too slow in gear that people smarter than me have said are coming from the damper plate, which is attached to the engine flywheel.
That would be my thought based of the very limited video. Would try and listen with a mechanics stethoscope on flywheel cover to see if that can be confirmed. Would also make sense it is dampner plate if noise occurs under heavy load.

kenny nunez

Captain
The rattling noise is the flex plate which is no real problem.
The squeal could be the outer ring of the harmonic balancer. Or if there a buildup of black belt dust on the engine? If the outer ring is not slipping try dis connecting the alternator wire to see if the noise goes away. If squeal goes away then maybe a slightly larger pulley on the alternator is worth a try.