Mercruiser 5.0MPI rear transom engine mount

01SeaRayBR

Cadet
Hello, Im am pulling my hair out trying to figure out if i need to add the stainless steel washers in between the microfibers on the rear transom where the motor mounts to. Serial number 0w656595 2007 mercruiser MPI with alpha gen 2. I pulled the motor a few months ago so I cannot remember if they were there in the first place. I checked all of my labeled ziplock baggies and I cannot find any. The service bulletin from 2003 confuses me, in one picture it shows no washer, but in the other picture it does, and I dont mean the old double wound washer. Please help, thank you in advance.

Nic

Attachments

• photo293031.png
    photo293031.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo293032.png
    photo293032.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 2

dubs283

Vice Admiral
some need them, others do not. set the motor in place and check alignment, it should be fairly obvious by just looking through the gimble housing whether or not they are needed.

01SeaRayBR

Cadet
So, your saying the little s.s. washer that can go in between the microfiber is optional and was only used when others were having issues with alignment?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It doesn't go under the fibre washer, it goes under the mount. It's 'optional' according to how the alignment looks. If the engine aligns properly and accurately without the s/s washer, there is no s/s washer. If the engine is coupler is slightly low, then that s/s washer will raise the engine (and hence the coupler) up and would improve alignment on engines that need it. If you have no s/s washer, no s/s washer was needed. And you should reinstall without the s/s washer.

Chris.........

01SeaRayBR

Cadet
Hey Chris yeah, i know the ss washer doesnt go under the fiber washer, it goes in the middle/ center of it.

thanks for the help guys. ill try getting my alignment without the ss washers.

Last edited: