mercruiser 4cyl 120 gimbal housing swap from 68 style Mc1 to 83 alpha

ok, i have a 68 star craft I'm going through that had a seized engine. bought a complete back half from an 83 with the alpha 1 with the power trim and all. I've got the engine ready to go in, everything swapped over on the engine bell housing. so basically what I'm trying to figure out before i decide to pull the housing from the boat is how to convert it to power trim.

do i have to use the alpha housing?

if so, does it bolt right up to the older transom plate on my 68?

the transom plate on the alpha was cracked so i elected to stay with the original transom plate in the boat with the wider mount holes and swapped the flywheel bell housing from the original 68. just curious, if any of you merc experts have any insight on what I'm doing id be grateful!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've done the old MC to Alpha One conversion. The Alpha One gimbal housing has a slightly different bolt pattern than the MC so no you can't use it with the inner MC transom plate. The Alpha gimbal housing also requires a different cutout for the keyhole. The MC is pointed at the bottom and the Alpha is flat across the bottom. I'm not so sure about trying to hodge podge the 2 types together being the best way to go. If all that's stopping you from going 100% Alpha is the inner transom plate then I would try to find one. Then you won't have to worry about anything and it will all go together just fine.

Oh yeah and how about some pics of your Starcraft?

ok thanks man, i thought so.

as far as the power trim, apposed to the power tilt, can i just wire it up and plumb it in or is it more entailed? whats the actual difference? if the rams are there and theres a pump, shouldn't i be able to just use a couple solenoids and a toggle switch? i understand the mechanics and wiring stuff pretty well, i had a 79 sea ray with the 470 and rebuilt the trim pump and cylinders and rewired the limit switch and the sending unit for the gauge. just trying to figure out these old stern drives, do these have the limit switches on them? i can't tell, it has hoses coming from where they were on the later model outdrives.

i don't have any pics on this computer and I'm not sure how to upload them on here? do i need a photo bucket acct or something?

again, thanks for your help, its an 18ft 68' holliday. has a new floor and has been garaged for many years. its in decent shape, just wanting to get it mechanically sound and then figure out how i want to outfit it. its going to be fish/ski/camp. it has the snap on canvas that is in mint condition. it just needs some love, hoping to get it running before winterizing it to work on the outfitting. (live wells, seats and accessories. has the original gauges and they're still pristine.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It's an Unconventional swap yer tryin' to do,....

Usually, the entire transom assembly is swapped,....

Yer pretty much on yer own, as nobody does what yer attemptin' to do,.....

thanks bondo,
i may decide to do that later on, i have all the parts minus the transom plate. so if its too much of a hassle, i may just leave it as original until i can find a 3.0l complete that isn't ragged out and rebuild it if necessary. from what i find here in southwest ohio, people don't like to properly winterize them and the blocks crack and the exhaust manifolds like to rust out at the riser connection. my goal is to make it work and get the boat boating' and then upgrade as funds and time allows.

as for the trim stuff I'm going to tinker with it, i think the main obstacle will be rigging up a limit switch, might be able to fab something up like a tilt switch or adapt the ones off the late model somehow before i replace the bellows . I'm assuming another option would be an MC1 gimbal housing with power trim to my original transom plate, or maybe just go with the alpha and say to heck with it. the only thing i might have issues with is the steering from what I'm reading. anyone else have any insight.

Bondo

Staff member
i have all the parts minus the transom plate.

Ayuh,.... It would be much easier to find the transom housin' complete, 'n the flywheel cover,....

Donno what sorta unforeseen problems yer gonna run into, goin' the way yer headed,....