mercruiser 454 bravo I

duckman

Cadet
My mercruser 454 with Bravo I makes a slight clicking noise in neutral... also it makes a clicking sound when underway at full steering lock, also what is the suggested idle RPM for an 89 7.4L.. this one seems to CLUNK into gear...

D

DJ

Re: mercruiser 454 bravo I

duckman,<br /><br />Is this engine new to you?<br /><br />The clicking you hear in full steering lock are the u-joints in the upper drive.<br /><br />The clunk while engaging is normal. You DO NOT want to ease the shifter into gear. Always make quick shifts.

duckman

Cadet

Yes engine is new (1 month)... first sterndrive...<br /><br />Working on finding a manual... what does everyone suggest? Can't seem to find a factory Mercuriser Shop Man...<br /><br />thanks

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Duckman, you can find lots of manuals online. What I always do is go to Amazon.com and search for suitable manuals. Then I get the ISBN and search the web for lower price. I recommend you search for "Mercruiser Bravo" at Amazon.com.<br /><br />For your need, I for example found "Mercruiser Alpha One, Bravo One & Bravo Two Stern Drives, 1986-1992" with ISBN 0892876557. It costs around $30. Check out sites like half.com, eCampus.com, bamm.com etc.<br /><br />Good luck<br />Lou

jeremyp111

Seaman

Go to boatfix.com. I ordered my Mercruiser Shop Manual from them. The OEM shop manuals are much better than either Clymer or Seloc. I have them all for my 95 454/BIII's in my 32' Regal.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second the shop manual suggestion. I have Seloc and mercruiser manuals for my 470. The seloc has some helpful extra tips. However, some of the specs listed are slightly different. I'd rather set and run my motor to mercruiser's specs than to seloc's.

jw454

Cadet

Hello fellow 454 pilot, You had asked the idle speed of your engine . it is 650-700RPM in forward gear. This is one engine I know inside and out. Have fun.