mercruiser 4.3 reliability/issues?

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at a 1994 boat with a mercruiser 4.3 engine with about 500 hours on it. Most of the hours were at low rpm trolling speeds. I just thought I'd better check with the experts here as to the reliability of this engine...anything in particular I should watch for or check? Could running this engine hour after hour at low rpm's cause any problems? Sure hope I hear "man thats the best motor ever put in a boat"!
Thanx! Dan

Edit: just did a search (ya, shoulda done that 1st!) and it seems like its quite the little motor...just wondering about extended running at low rpm's

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 4.3 reliability/issues?

Edit: just did a search (ya, shoulda done that 1st!) and it seems like its quite the little motor...just wondering about extended running at low rpm's

Ayuh,... The 1 I'm sellin' this spring has about 1200hrs, mostly trollin'...
It still tests out Great on a compression test...

I'd rather buy a motor idled for 500hrs, than a motor run Wot for 50hrs...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Man that's the best motor ever put in a boat!

I had one for 12 years. The guy I sold it to still has me service it for him... Probably the best and most reliable engine I have ever seen. Another friend has one also and it gets really abused, still runs like a clock.... It's also why I went to the MPI at change-over. It's the same basic block...

The only issue with them is with the 4bbl Weber carb (the LX variant). It dribbles after shutdown and floods the engine, making the next start a bit long on the key. But it always started....

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx...reason for asking is a friend has 3.0 in his boat with MANY hours of low rpm running and claims his cam suffered from lack of lubrication due to low rpm running....just thought I'd see if that may be an issue with the 4.3

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only issue with them is with the 4bbl Weber carb (the LX variant). It dribbles after shutdown and floods the engine, making the next start a bit long on the key. But it always started....

Is there a fix for this?

achris

3.0l and V6 are completely different animals.... The ONLY similarity is they both have GM cast on the block. Cam damage at low revs could also mean his oil pump is worn, or he's not doing oil changes regularly enough.... Remember, constant low revs is considered as harsh treatment and requires a shortening of oil change intervals....

achris

Not that I am aware of. If I had kept the engine any longer I was going to get a Edlebrock 1409 carb and see if that was any different.... Mercruiser won't even acknowledge that the problem exists.... AHs!!!