Mercruiser 3.7 Water Pump Replacement?

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I picked up a boat today that needs the water pump replaced according to the person I bought it from. Now, I've had this engine with all of the boats I've owned and my fathers boat has it as well, but I was curious is this different then the impeller?

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your inquiring about taking it in somewhere to have them work on it. you have to first find someone willing to work on the 470. it wont be cheap.

guessing about $1500 in labor alone

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if your inquiring about taking it in somewhere to have them work on it. you have to first find someone willing to work on the 470. it wont be cheap.

guessing about $1500 in labor alone

i actually have a family friend who's been my mechanic for over 15 years and he's worked on all of my 170's

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK, slow down a bit here. Are you SURE they were talking about the engine water pump. The ONLY reason you would have to mess with that is if it is leaking antifreeze out of the weep hole on the lower starboard side of the pump. Unless is leaking (bad cam seals) it should never "wear out". The impeller in the outdrive is no different than any other alpha 1.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Stoney, have you ever known a 470 to not wear out the cam seal surface? would be different if Mercruiser hardened the shaft, however they didnt

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Hey Scott, yeah they all will leak eventually. The seals themselves will fail, on mine I did not use a Spedi sleeve on mine and it has held just fine for 10 years. The new seals are pretty good and sill probably work well even if the cam surface is grooved a bit. The op said the waterpump needed to be replaced, but on the 470 there is no "water pump" to replace, anyway not like in a conventional engine. There is just an impeller bolted to the end of the cam, which should last forever. The only thing that would ever need to be replaced is the cam seals, and the indicator for that is the weep hole leak. On a conventional engine the seals and bearings can fail, and then you replace the waterpump. So me being a "470 guy", when the op said it needs a new waterpump, I am thinking impeller. Yeah we think differently ;)

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Scott, yeah they all will leak eventually. The seals themselves will fail, on mine I did not use a Spedi sleeve on mine and it has held just fine for 10 years. The new seals are pretty good and sill probably work well even if the cam surface is grooved a bit. The op said the waterpump needed to be replaced, but on the 470 there is no "water pump" to replace, anyway not like in a conventional engine. There is just an impeller bolted to the end of the cam, which should last forever. The only thing that would ever need to be replaced is the cam seals, and the indicator for that is the weep hole leak. On a conventional engine the seals and bearings can fail, and then you replace the waterpump. So me being a "470 guy", when the op said it needs a new waterpump, I am thinking impeller. Yeah we think differently ;)

this makes a lot of sense. i would be a whole lot happier if it was just an impeller change.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah an impeller is a lot easier, but the cam seals are not too bad. About $100 in parts and a few hours work if all goes smoothly (it never does). If your mechanic has worked on 470's he has probably done a few. Good luck.