Mercruiser 3.0 starter bolts and bracket

kthkollar

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. Have a broken starter bolt on my mercruiser. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get new bolts, and also the bracket that is supposed to be on the starter, which as I am reading here, its absence most likely caused this problem. Thanks to all for your help.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 starter bolts and bracket

Some were metric bolts if your block is stamped with a M it is a metric, otherwise standard starter bolts

garyfink

Cadet

I bought a new permanent magnet one and it came with new bolts they are tiny compared to the old style and you don't need the rear bracket. For 80 scoobs you can't go wrong.

Capt Ken

Commander

You always need the rear brace with the 3.0. It will twist and break the bolts again if you don't.

kthkollar

Seaman Apprentice

Garyfink, I thought that too. Now I am taking the motor out to remove broken starter bolts. Still need info on the bracket. Is there one available or do i have to fabricate one? Thanks for any help.

Bondo

Staff member

Garyfink, I thought that too. Now I am taking the motor out to remove broken starter bolts. Still need info on the bracket. Is there one available or do i have to fabricate one? Thanks for any help.

Ayuh,... That's what I'd do,...

garyfink

Cadet

I just gave mine away to the place I got my starter from. I'm sure they're still available from merc.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

keep in mind, those brackets are not all the same. They change with the type of starter, and they year of your engine.