mercruiser 170

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was readind posts about the mercruiser 470.. the question is the merc 170 the same motor? thanks Rich.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser 170

the question is the merc 170

Yes,... And several other names, both Offical,+ rather Non-Offical......:rolleyes:

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

So did they resolve any of the old issues before re-naming it ? Or is it still potentially a turd in desguise Lol?? and crying at the same time about a poor purchase choice? :(

Bondo

Staff member

Or is it still potentially a turd in desguise

Ayuh,.. It's still a turd by Any name....

They resolved the Issues with the motor,...
By Discontinuing Production,+ Support.....

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

Understood guess there will be another boat on craigslist soon!!
I thought I was free of issues with the merc family. just goes to show reasearch any potential purchase untill all information is exausted in the future.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK! Sounds like you bought a boat with a Merc. 470 engine. The question is, how is it running now? Those engines have a lot of issues, but there a lot of them out there that are running just fine. Any 20+ year old motor can have problems. I would do a compression check on it, and if is OK, I would just use it this summer and see how it goes. Seems like you have nothing to lose. Just my opinion. Good luck.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK! Sounds like you bought a boat with a Merc. 470 engine. The question is, how is it running now? Those engines have a lot of issues, but there a lot of them out there that are running just fine. Any 20+ year old motor can have problems. I would do a compression check on it, and if is OK, I would just use it this summer and see how it goes. Seems like you have nothing to lose. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Agreed I bought one not knowing about them and mine wasn't running when I bought it but now with the exception of needing the alternator conversion it is running sweet and strong

DACEAC

Cadet

Agreed I bought one not knowing about them and mine wasn't running when I bought it but now with the exception of needing the alternator conversion it is running sweet and strong

I HAVE THE 190 AND IT DOES A GREAT JOB. THE ONLY ISSUE HAVE IS THAT IT'S HARD STARTING WHEN COLD. 86 FOURWINNS 195 CUDDY

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

im sorry guys about being so pessimistic about the engine (170) in the boat that I purchased last weekend it does run very good. starts up easy, has good compression on all four cylinders. no water leaks from the water pump or heat exchanger (4" diameter). so far and not engine related the bilge pump was spent bought another one at the bass pro shop today. its an 1986 170 with a alpha 1 out drive . taken out three times thus far. no problems to date.