Mercruiser 165 Outdrive Gear Lube in Exaust

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 165 Outdrive Gear Lube in Exaust

I guess I don't know the difference between the carrier and the seal.. Either way, I ordered it at the local shop, and it'll be here on Monday. Here are some pictures of the yoke. The sealing surface on the yoke is very smooth, i don't feel any grooves or anything. It looks bad, but i swear, it does not feel grooved at all.....View attachment 181464View attachment 181465View attachment 181466View attachment 181467

Thanks

Ayuh,... In yer 1st, 'n 2nd pictures, I can See the seal runnin' surface is Trashed, Badly...

You either need to replace the yoke, or atleast speedi-sleeve it...

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bondo. What is speedi sleeve it?

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

OHHHH, I understand now. I went downstairs and looked at the yoke again. The oil seal surface is along the sides of the yoke, not the top smooth side. Yes, the side of that yoke is pitted to hell!! I looked it up, 145 bucks for a new yoke!!! I guess I coulda googled speedi-sleeve before I asked. So those things just fit right on over the seal surface, to make a new seal? Do they work pretty good, for a marine environment under constant pressure?

35 bucks for a speedi sleeve sounds a lot better than 145 bucks for a new YOKE!

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... In yer 1st, 'n 2nd pictures, I can See the seal runnin' surface is Trashed, Badly...

You either need to replace the yoke, or atleast speedi-sleeve it...

So how do I figure out which speedi-sleeve would fit on that shaft? Are there any specs on that seal surfacE?

Bondo

Staff member

So how do I figure out which speedi-sleeve would fit on that shaft? Are there any specs on that seal surfacE?

Ayuh,... It should be SKF, #99225, 2.249"/ 2.255"...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The second 1 is the same part number as this 1 on my desk... SKF, #99225,

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... The second 1 is the same part number as this 1 on my desk... SKF, #99225,

You're right. I guess there all the same. So those things just slide on over the old seal surface? Doesn't that lip affect the spacer difference at the yoke?

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... It should be SKF, #99225, 2.249"/ 2.255"...

So I got this sleeve in the mail today. It woulda of worked great, except the installation depth is too big. I don't see a smaller depth on the size chart. My yoke shaft oil seal surface is only .48 inches deep, and the sleeve was 1.3 inches.

Bondo

Staff member

So I got this sleeve in the mail today. It woulda of worked great, except the installation depth is too big. I don't see a smaller depth on the size chart. My yoke shaft oil seal surface is only .48 inches deep, and the sleeve was 1.3 inches.

Ayuh,.... Ya warm it, drive it on with the driver ya build, cut it off, 'n trim/ smooth the edge with a file...

The "Cup" it comes in, can be modified to use as a driver,...
I've got an ole piece of PVC pipe I use to drive the cup, which drives the sleeve...
Freezin' the yoke in yer freezer also helps...

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bondo. I did a number on that speedi sleeve trying to cut it, especially without the right tools. I just broke down and picked up a new yoke shaft from the local dealer. Stick it on and done....

I will update this thread once I get it all put back together, see if the oil/water leaks stop in the outdrive. I think at this point, I have totally resealed the entire upper gear housing.

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I thought I'd finish this tread up.

I wound up mangling that speedi sleeve up pretty good. I am inexperienced in cutting metal, and really don't have the right tools. So I broke down and ordered a new yoke. new shiney yoke.jpg

The removal of the U-joint was interesting without the correct tools, but I was able to hammer it out gently and put it back together the same way.

Got the bearing assembly all put back togother, and loaned a torque wrench from Advanced Auto Parts for 30 bucks. When I bring it back, I get all my money back, which it thought was a good deal....

Issues I had:

1. Torquing the retainer nut to 200 ft/lbs (117lbs corrected for length of my torque wrench). I couldn't get the upper housing to stay still, guess I didn't have the correct work bench surface. I think I got it close enough.

2. When trying to put the upper and lower back together, I couldn't get the lock nuts back in the little space on the side. me trying to put those side screws in (Large).jpg
Those lock nuts didn't wanna fit in that little space once the stud was in there, so I wound up have to pry open the upper and lower with a screw driver a little bit to get the bolt in that space and locked down

3. Trying to get the out drive back in the bell housing. That wasn't as easy as achris videos make it look!!! It presented several problems (weight of unit, trying to get splines to line up without messing up o-ring, and keeping the shift cable slide in the right spot).

Either way, I wouldn't' of had the confidence to attempt this project without the help I found here, so just wanted to say thanks.

Pic of my useless helper....very helpful helper (Large).jpg

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I would have to say you have learned volumes, same as most of on here do, through this task. The issues you encountered have been solved by many and the tips and tricks are either in the various guides for the maintenance, or in threads on here. I crafted an outdrive stand on casters that lines my outdrive up with my bell housing for easy one-person insertion. I use a nifty little "holder" for the shift slide (purchased through iboats).

Did you happen to check your drive alignment before putting it back on the boat?

How did your post maintenance pressure test come out?

KB

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I said to my self that I need to build a stand for the out drive, so that I can just roll it up.

Yes, I checked the alignment, I had purchased an alignment bar a few years ago, and never used it, cause i never pulled the drive off my self. The engine alignment showed grease marks on all side of the bar evenly, so I assumed that it was good.

I did pressure test it, and sprayed soapy water everywhere there were leaks prior. NO issues, and the new yoke and oil carrier seal are holding nice. It held pressure, but I only left it for about 10 minutes, as I was anxious to get it back on the boat that night!

Hoping to get her out on the lake this weekend for a quick test run, make sure the gears don't come flying out of the top cover!:eek:

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I said to my self that I need to build a stand for the out drive, so that I can just roll it up.

Yes, I checked the alignment, I had purchased an alignment bar a few years ago, and never used it, cause i never pulled the drive off my self. The engine alignment showed grease marks on all side of the bar evenly, so I assumed that it was good.

I did pressure test it, and sprayed soapy water everywhere there were leaks prior. NO issues, and the new yoke and oil carrier seal are holding nice. It held pressure, but I only left it for about 10 minutes, as I was anxious to get it back on the boat that night!

Hoping to get her out on the lake this weekend for a quick test run, make sure the gears don't come flying out of the top cover!:eek:

Well, I just wanted to complete this thread. I took the boat out this Sunday, sunny and 64 was the high! No issues with the out drive, ran at all types of RPM's, turned hard to port, hard to starboard, punching it, slowing down, sitting with engine off, shifting froward, reverse, basically everything! The out drive performed great. No issues with shifting, checked gear lube when I got home, no water in the lube, so I'm happy, I can't believe I did it!.

Just to summarize,

1. Pulled lower off to change water pump, quickly realized that I need to pull upper off boat too, found a load of problems.

2. Pressure tested upper and lower. Lower held 15 psi pressure, so i changed water pump assembly (including pump base) and left lower alone. Upper seals were leaking at the bearing assembly oil carrier seal, most likely due to water in bellows at a previous time, and yoke was pitted and corroded.

3. Wound up having to reseal upper unit with new seal where lower drive shaft mates to upper, and where driven gear seals... new upper seal.jpgnew upper and lower seal 2.jpg

4. Had to replace bearing assembly yoke shaft bad yoke.jpg
new shiney yoke.jpg

5. Replaced entire oil carrier seal assembly (probably only had to replace seal in carrier assembly...)

6, Bolted back together, and hit the water! Big thanks to the iboaters, have always helped me from rebuilding rotten boat to resealing out drive. anyone can do anything with the help of this forum.