mercruiser 140 water shutter

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother has inhertied my former headache of a 1980 mercruser 140. The reason he inhertited it from me was there was water getting in the motor some how. It was not that prevelent untill i changed the impeller. After I changed the impeller water was shooting out of a spark plug hole. When I removed the outdrive two peices fell out and I had no idea what they were untill today when i was doing some surfing and came across a picture of a water shutter and it hit me thats what those peices were. I guess my question is since the water shutter is no longer there could water be getting into the motor while it was running because of the missing water shutter or is that only there to keep the water from getting in when the motor is shut off

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercruiser 140 water shutter

water in spark plug hole is either a manifold/cracked head or block either way gasket will be renewed and flaps r there to stop the backwash when decelerating and sucking water from outside of hull in worst case scenario.whichever way you turn get water out or rust will probably finish it 4 good.