MerControl nightmare

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: MerControl nightmare

As for the elec. choke button, couldn't I just mount that in the dash, along with ignition switch?

the sky's the limit....you can put everything on a remote if you wanted to.

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Thats what I was hoping to hear! Now I know what path I'm going to take, thanks to you!

:D

turbodude51

Cadet

Here is what I found out? I replaced cables, now when prop is forward it should ratchet when turned clockwise correct? Well when remote is pulled all the way back, carbs open all the way! I did swap handle from right to left for left hand mount but it goes the same way. Do I have to reverse gears in remote also? So that lever forward is forward?
Thansk, Rick

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

did you recently change your impeller? It sounds like your gears are reversed. I have seen a lot of threads on here where people have replaced their impeller and reinstalled the lower unit incorrectly and causing their control unit to be reversed (forward is now reverse and back is now forward). I know it has to do with the shift shaft but exactly how to fix it, i don't know. Try searching the threads on here.

Hope this helps you.

turbodude51

Cadet

Thanks, getting ready to drop it, yes over the winter. Of course on engine stand in garage, who checks:)
But I will search, Thanks
Rick

turbodude51

Cadet

On my 1964 500 50HP, Forward on engine is the lever towards stern, so when I pull remote which should be reverse, trans goes into forward gear and carbs open all the way. Pushing it forward does oposite. Since I just installed this remote, I most likely need open that pushes shift when placed forward, not pulling.
Thanks, Rick

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turbo, which cable is moving first on the engine side?The shift cable should be moving first then the throttle.Perhaps the cables are switched?

turbodude51

Cadet

Found out that older Merc's Pushed the trans lever to the rear to go forward, hence my remote is wrong. Found out from Uflex that they have a model, with Merc adapters that you can make throttle or shift push or pull for your application. Iboats does not have it. I ordered from DIY Boats, $123.00 for remote and the adapter was $15.00
Rick