Mercontrol all buggered up

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, i just bought a Thunderbolt Merc 800. I got the controls with it, choke button on top and idler on the right. Everything works but the throttle seems loose. Reverse has no slack but when i put the throttle into forward it wil pull the throttle cable a little bit, have tons of slack and then it will pull it a little more ( betwen 11 oclock and 9 oclock it has the most slack). It seems like the throttle linkage or something in the control box is stretched out cause its not tight the whole time. Anybody know what it might be and if you could send me a disgram of this unit because all the ones I find online are all black and you cant make the pictures out. Thanks alot

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Mercontrol all buggered up

MMM, here is a link to the factory service manual for the Merc control units.

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/144897617/4cfd9e4f/Merc_Controls_Newest_manual.html

On the MerControl units, there is very little throttle movement thru the first 60* of travel of the throttle lever. Seems like all the throttle response happens in the last few degrees of travel.

Check your cables for sharp bends or kinks in the cable. No bends less than 8" radius.