mercarb needle problems

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
does anyone have a problem with the needle falling off the float? i had it happen to me today on the river for the third time in a year. what can i do to fix this problem????

6meter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercarb needle problems

Never. Obviously shouldn't but maybe the spring clip is bad/bent? Float tab broken? Electric fuel pump? To much pressure? Carb not put back together correctly?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I suspect that if the float level was not adjusted properly that the needs could come out. There are 2 float level adjustment one of of them depends on the type of needle.

If the float level is adjusted correctly, I don't see how it could come out.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i followed the instructions compleatly to adujust it, i just put a new float in last oct

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

also, do you think i can seperate the carb to fix this without pulling carb off?

jagilbert

Seaman Apprentice

I dont know what kind of carb you have, but on mine (rochester 2bbl) you have to take the accel pump linkage off in order to get the top part of the carb off. Sure, you could do it without removing the whole carb if that is really easier. For me its easier to take the whole carb off.
My carb rebuild kit came with two different shaped spring clips to hold the float needle to the float, cuz the kit works for multiple carbs. I wonder if you might have the same situation and chose the wrong clip? Also check that the clip is properly connected to the float tab. On mine it goes through a little hole near the float tab. If you were to mount it 180 degrees around it would kinda still work, but it wouldn't be secure.
And re-check the float measurement that limits how low the float can go in the bowl. re-check the instructions to ensure that you are setting the measurement for your particular variation of carb and measuring between the proper two points. That just seems like the most likely culprit.

Good Luck

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

The air horn can be removed on the boat. Is this a 4 or 2 bbl carb? Rochester? I'll stick with the thought that it is put together wrong. Missing parts or wrong clip. There is no other reason.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure I understand the needle valve falling off the float. Did you set the float drop?

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

yes i set the drop and something else, wasnt it 2 measurements to set the drop? one hanging and one all the way up, or something like that?

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

ok i just read the manual and i think i did everything right, but i am going to take apart this morning and go through and double check