mercarb 2barrel . idle mixture screw ?

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice
If the idle mixture screw is open to much will fuel continue to run in the intake after you shut motor off . The reason I ask is when cold I can hit the key and motor fires right up . after it gets hot and I shut motor off I have to hold it wide open and crank it for a minute before it starts . I pulled the spark arrestor and looked in carb the choke was fully open and I could see fuel still dripping . I took carb apart checked the float level and cleaned carb put it back together and still the drip . I havent changed the idle mixture screw setting though .

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercarb 2barrel . idle mixture screw ?

If the idle mixture screw is open to much will fuel continue to run in the intake after you shut motor off .

Nope,... Your problems are deeper than that,... Rebuild, or Replace the carb,...

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the idle mixture screw is open to much will fuel continue to run in the intake after you shut motor off . The reason I ask is when cold I can hit the key and motor fires right up . after it gets hot and I shut motor off I have to hold it wide open and crank it for a minute before it starts . I pulled the spark arrestor and looked in carb the choke was fully open and I could see fuel still dripping . I took carb apart checked the float level and cleaned carb put it back together and still the drip . I havent changed the idle mixture screw setting though .

Sounds to me like you have a dirty/worn fuel inlet needle/seat. Very common issue on carbs that sit of months without fuel turnover, especially with our new EPA friendly E10 fuel....

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

the worn needle and seat makes sense . however The carb has a new rebuilt kit in it . I was thinking the float was out of adjustment or dirt in it or the choke was sticking preventing the float from shutting causing the fuel drip . I took it apart the other day and cleaned carb . I did find some trash in the bowl and in the filter . I cleaned the carb again taking all jets and needle out and blowing through all holes . reassembled it and still a little drip . I will check for trash in the needle and seat again thats all I can guess it would be .

Bondo

Staff member

or the choke was sticking preventing the float from shutting causing the fuel drip .

Ayuh,... The Choke has Nothing to do with it...

It's entirely Possible, that the carb is just plain Junk...

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

typing error ther bondo . I am aware the choke sticking wouldnt hold the float open . I meant maybe the choke was sticking flooding the motor which it isnt . or the float level was incorrect prevent it from closing and leaking . I am guessing its the float not seating and will check for dirt again . I assume all the idle mixture screw controls is the air fuel mixture .