Merc Won't start

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
Not to rub it in, but we were going to go out today (Florida) and each time I turned the key... nothing at the starter!<br /><br />5.0 Mercruiser, 1995 23' Sea Ray I/O. Batteries are good, oil pressure warning sounds normal, there is a VERY faint click under the engine cover each time I turn the key (not the starter turning over or "dead battery clicking"). Turned the key about 12 -14 times and then suddenly the starter turned, boat fires right up and away we go. Well, not very far because of a lack of confidence and only one paddle. Sat for the day and got ready to come back... fired right up!<br />Starter Solonoid? Switch in the throttle? Ignition switch? Suggestions?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc Won't start

Corroded battery terminals/cables/connections....I would take em apart & clean 'em all....I'll bet you find an ugly connection somewhere ;) .....JK

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I'll try that, but wouldn't the oil pressure alarm act sluggish also?<br /><br />I haven't done the terminal thing for about a year now.<br />Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or a damaged or skint battery cable. 1 small nick in a cable lets moisture in and you never know it has corrided in half. i've had 2.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

low current devices will work fine. the high current draw of the starter wont. Baking soda and water works well for cleaning the corrosion.<br /><br />Mark

tashasdaddy

you can jump the slave solenoid. if it turns over replace it.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My vote would be the slave solenoid. You can guess and throw parts at it, or follow Don's troubleshooting guide and find the problem.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......<br /><br />My vote will go to JK,........<br /><br />I'm Betting there'll be a Corroded Wire end,.....<br />Or,.. A Bad Wire...<br /><br />BTW,.......<br />Don't Forget ALL the Ground Wires.......<br />They're Often Forgotten,... But,.. They're Just as Important as the Power Feeds.......<br /><br />And,... Looks can be decieving,... Take them Appart,+ Sand them Shiny CLEAN.........

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Oh Boy! Thanks Don S!!! I should be able to find the problem with that description, if not, then it's time to take it somewhere.<br />Now I'm suspecting a bad connection somewhere, because it's so errratic. But I'll follow your steps!<br /><br />Thanks!

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have someone turn the key when its happening and you listen under the engine cover... Sometimes you'll hear a sizzle from where the bad connection is...<br /><br />Also do not get the baking soda and water solution inside the battery, you'll neutralize the acid within...

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also had the similar symptoms. It turned out to be bad starter. After you check connections, i would suspect a starter on its way

Don S

gstanton <br /> <br />Don't forget to read the third paragraph in that post (The one in bold print)<br /><br />Here it is incase you missed it.<br /><br />
I will start by assuming you have a good battery, clean tight connections with good battery cables of the proper size. If you have loose, corroded cables and connections the following tests are a waste of time.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've replaced many Merc slave solenoids. I always start there with a D.V.M. Your volt meter will tell you exactly where the problem is if you follow a logical troubleshooting guide or schematic.