Merc Classic 50 too short!

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother has a motorized dock (pontoon) with a Classic 50 on the back which moves her a little faster than a stationary dock. The gear case is too short so if you try to trim her at all she starts cavataten'. Did they ever make this motor with a longer gear case as it would be good to swap it out for a longer one?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc Classic 50 too short!

They're common as dirt, probably more-so than shortshaft versions. But the easy way is to get an extension kit. You might be able to find one of those used, but they're hard to come by. Try www.tcoutboards.com and I believe Bay Manufacturing at www.baymfg.com still makes them. They come with a water pipe extension, shiftshaft extension, driveshaft extension, midsection extension, and hardware. The big sticikng point about converting the hard way is that you have to replace the driveshaft which should mean re-shimming. Unless you can find a junker with a blown powerhead and good everything-else. That would include 35and 40Hp twins and 40, 45, and 50 inline-4s. They used the same leg.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc Classic 50 too short!

Thanks Willy, I was hoping that it would be a common item. I appriciate the links.