Merc 850 - Is it suppose to do this??

Flossyb20

Cadet
Trying to fire up my 72 850. Got the timing set according to the manual. I was trying to set the max advance using a static method - I had the gap tester plugged into #1 cylinder and the flywheel set at 23. I advanced the distributer and heard nothing, so I cut the key off. When I did, I heard the spark jump. Did it a few more times and sure enough, everytime I cut the switch from on to off, #1 fired. This is really blowing my mind, as I was able to set the initial timing with my light, and all of the cylinders have a nice strong spark while cranking. The main issue is, it just won't run. Any ideas? I'm running out of options.
Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 850 - Is it suppose to do this??

Does it fire or try to start?How long has it set?Fuel system?Fresh gas.Plugs wet?
More info.
You take off the flywheel?J

Flossyb20

Cadet

I rebuilt the rotating assembly with new bearing and pistons, fresh bore also. I replaced all the fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs ad fuel pump, fresh gas and new plugs. The plugs are getting wet, which tells me its getting fuel. It sparks when I'm cranking (around 2 BTDC on #1) , but I can't tell if it sparks when I'm not. I'm leaning toward a problem with the trigger - how would I test this? Like I said, when I tried to test the max advance via a static test, I got no spark, until I cut the key off.

Flossyb20

Cadet

Well, I got it running, but I had to keep the starter engaged to do so - not getting any spark when the switch is "on" - I checked the switch and it's good - so is it the trigger or switchbox, and how would I go about checking either?
Thanks

j_martin

Admiral

Well, I got it running, but I had to keep the starter engaged to do so - not getting any spark when the switch is "on" - I checked the switch and it's good - so is it the trigger or switchbox, and how would I go about checking either?
Thanks

Yer barking up the wrong tree. Check out the switch and it's wiring. Someone that knows the details of this ignition can help you do that.

stormmn

Seaman Apprentice

had the same identical problem with my 74 850, after replacing the switch box and a few other parts, it ended up being the trigger assembly.

new unit $328 from IBoats.

as I have since blown my 850 up and am parting it out, I would be interested in selling the entire distributor unit with new trigger assmbly.

stormmn@rconnects.cnorm

bktheking

Vice Admiral

According to CDI- spark only with starter engaged-

Low voltage or bad trigger.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Before you go buying parts which is expensive,take a good look at your wiring.Wiring does get pretty brittle after so many years.You need more than 9 volts at the switchbox when cranking the motor or she will not start.I put in a new electrical wiring system to where my juice to the switchbox is on a seperate flip switch from the ignition key (starter). Here is a way of finding out if your switchbox and coil are in good shape.Also check your kill switch inside your control box is okay.

MERCURY BATTERY-POWERED CDI TEST FOR DISTRIBUTOR MODELS

This test is for the 332-2986 switchbox used from 1967-1978 on all the inlines.

This test assumes your coil is good (problems with CDI coils are rare).

DISCONNECT BATTERY

1. Turn off ignition;

2. Disconnect all 3 distributor wires on the Port side of the switchbox (and the ?mercury switch? if present);

3. Remove the High Voltage lead from the ign coil to the center of the dist. cap (remember it unplugs from the coil and unscrews from the cap);

4. Reconnect the H.V. lead to the COIL only;

5. Position the free end of the HV lead approx. 3/8" from ground (block, shrouds etc), and find a way to hold it there;

6. Jumper the brown and white terminals on the distributor side of the switchbox to each other.

RECONNECT BATTERY

7. Check that you have +12V at the red terminal (even with the ign off);

8. Turn on ignition and verify +12V at the white terminal (same side as the red terminal);

9. Ground the black terminal on the distributor side of the switchbox - this should cause a spark each time you touch ground.

If you get spark with the distributor bypassed, and it won't fire with the distributor connected, the trigger is bad and the entire distributor housing assy must be replaced.

If you get no spark using the test, the switchbox is probably bad. In that case, be sure to check for correct power on the switchbox, check all connections, and check the coil's resistance to make sure it's OK."

Flossyb20

Cadet

OK guys - it ended up being the trigger, so that problem is now solved. I got the new parts on last night and fired the engine up this morning. The problem now is that it will only idle when at 16-18 BTDC - I know it's suppose to idle much lower than at (not exactly sure of the value, but the 1st throttle pick-up should be at 3-4BTDC) I do have an adjustable pointer, but it will only go +/- 4 degrees, I used a dial to set it, so I know the decals on the flywheel aren't the problem. any other suggestions to check? I'm really trying to take it out splash it this weekend, but this is a big concern.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, This in addition to your other post leads me to believe you have a newer motor, maybe 1975. The timing pointer should be set at .464" BTDC, which should be on your timing decal. Set the motor to TDC, and zero the dial indicator. Now turn the flywheel CCW until the dial indicator reads .464" BTDC. Now set the timing pointer to read .464"BTDC.

If that procedure will not work, perhaps the outer flywheel is installed incorrectly.

stormmn

Seaman Apprentice

look at your dist. timing belt drive wheel, it has a mark on it that must align with the mark on the housing when piston is on TDC and flywheel is on TDC.
when you put the belt on the dist. drive wheel you can get it off + or - a few deg. if not aligned properly.

let us know what you find.

Flossyb20

Cadet

I'll have to hold off for a few days. I took the carbs off and cleaned them out again - found a little trash, so that could explain a little, put another set of gaskets on the fuel pump. I got her fired up, fairly easy this time, but I just happpen to check out the tale-tell as it slowly stopped spitting water - pulled the lower unit and fould the whole housing was fried - should be a couple days before I can get it up and running again.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you still have the problem check to see if rotor disk was installed upside down, this will give you fits!!!!