Merc 500 Thunderbolt timing marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rulost

Seaman
Pretty sure I already know the answer, but going to ask since the pictures in the manual I downloaded aren't clear enough to verify. On a 1974 500 with thunderbolt ignition (serial 3817126) , when the flywheel mark is on #1 piston TDC, verified piston is at top, should the second flywheel mark be aligned with mark on distributor? I will try to upload pics to show what I have now, so the question makes a little more sense. Basically, I think my distributor is timed improperly but would like to verify before I order a new timing belt and tear it down to fix.

A little back story: Ran boat last October for the first time after I bought it, ran great. Top speed of 32 mph on GPS. Bottom carb was loading up at idle, so ordered kits to rebuild both carbs. Soaked, complete rebuild, and reinstall. When doing the link and sync, found timing was at 45 degrees max rather than the 35 listed on sticker on the front of the engine. Reset timing to 35, adjusted everything in a barrel of water. Seemed OK, just not "great". Took boat out for the first time yesterday, and top speed on GPS was 23. Had no hesitation or bogging on the holeshot, just no top speed, and would barely run at low throttle speeds. Figured I had gotten something wrong on timing, so took the covers off today to investigate, and found that I think the distributor was not timed properly when I got the boat. Thanks for the help!
Both marks.jpg 2.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You may find that you have to take the wee plate off the top of the distributor.----------5/16" wrench required.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yep. Under the plate is the "real" timing arrow. The arrow points directly at the flywheel when #1 is at TDC.

Rulost

Seaman
Well, I had been hoping it was something as simple as the distributor being off, but now that y'all have explained about the plate, I guess not. Will still double check the timing this afternoon, and make sure I didn't get something wrong. Thanks for the quick replies!
20160407_121236 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

merc850

Commander
You have to setup the throttle pickup next with these instructions:
Merc-500-lightning.jpg
Merc-500-lightning2.jpg
A manual is a must and I would clean the flywheel and repaint it - if it cracks due to rust it's not a good thing.

merc850

Commander
You have to setup the throttle pickup next with these instructions:

A manual is a must and I would clean the flywheel and repaint it - if it cracks due to rust it's not a good thing.

Last edited:

Rulost

Seaman
Thanks Merc850, I do have a manual but whoever scanned it to upload, all of the pictures are too grainy to make out much. I think the biggest problem I'm having right now is that when I did it before I followed the directions in the FAQ that had me time it with the engine off, and only the #1 plug in place. It is possible I read something wrong, but the manual and your post say to time it running, in gear. That makes more sense to me.

Also, your second post (throttle pickup instructions) doesn't show, would you mind loading it again? I'm pretty sure I understand what to do from the manual I downloaded, but want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.