merc 5.0 died out of nowhere

Chudwick

Cadet
Hello everybody. I was on my way back in last night and the boat suddenly stalled out. I was running around 4k and slowed down to catch the channel to my slip and as soon as I went down to 2k it gave up. We ripped the lid off of the cooler and paddled back in using it as an oar. It took a couple hours but we made it. I pulled the flame arrestor off and shot ether down the carb and cranked it but it won't start. Im pretty sure its electrical whatever it is. I did check and no, the kill switch is not in the off position. Ill have it in my driveway later today so any ideas of things to check would be awesome. So odd, it was running like a champ and then bam, dead.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
mercruiser made about two dozen variations to a 5.0 over the years. this includes 2 different manufactures, 6 different blocks, 8 different ignition systems and at least 15 different induction systems.

would kind of help to know exact year, model, serial number, etc.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
without a year, engine type, serial number it will be hard to give answers but generally start at the fuel tank, anti-syphon, water sep filter, fuel pumps,etc.