Merc 470

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am wondering...What is so wrong with the Merc 470??
I notice that LOTS of people really hate this motor.
I met 1 guy who loves them in Columbia, SC...As long as water didn't flood them on the outside...(in a boat, yea right).

I am considering buying a first boat and with my limited budget I have found several with this engine...

I am an air compressor mechanic for a living (15 years) and haven't yet found that much that I can't do....
Never had a run at marine engines though...

Advice???
Thanks
Darrin

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 470

I met 1 guy who loves them in Columbia, SC...As long as water didn't flood them on the outside...(in a boat, yea right).

I am considering buying a first boat and with my limited budget I have found several with this engine...

I am an air compressor mechanic for a living (15 years) and haven't yet found that much that I can't do....

Advice???
Thanks
Darrin

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Do a search in this forum for "470 Merc".....

After you've been readin' for a few Days,...
Ya oughta be able to understand that it's an Obsolete motor...

If yer a Newbie, lookin' for a boat,...
If ya buy Anything with an OMC drive, or Anything other than Chevy based power,....
Yer shootin' yerself in the foot, in the long run...

Boats with OMCs, or 470s are Cheap, for Very Good Reasons...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah a lot of guys do not like them, but I do. There are three basic problems with them: It has an open deck engine with an aluminum block and iron head, so if you overheat it (and maybe even if you don't) you will blow a head gasket. The charging system is a rotor stator system same as an outboard with a very expensive water cooled voltage regulator. That can be solved with a alternator conversion. The engine waterpump is driven by the camshaft and has seals that will eventually fail and leak. In addition those three some parts are no longer available new, but can be found used on e-bay. If you are considering a boat with a 470 you should be prepared to do all of the engine work yourself including replacing headgaskets. If you can do a compression test before buying it would be great. As with any 25+ year old engine it is buyer beware. If I were buying a 470 I would look for a 1983 or later with the a "new" type reservoir and exhaust manifold. One significant advantage is the closed cooling with antifreeze in the block it only takes a couple of minutes to drain the heat exchanger for winter freeze protection. Like bond-o says do your research. Personally if I found a really nice boat with a 470 I would not be afraid to buy it. Good luck.

jamierg16

Recruit

i have a 470 in my welcraft that is getting water in the oil im thinking about parting out the 470 and putting in a v8 anyone have any insight on this project it would be appriciated:facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Advice???
Thanks
Darrin

You can't use those 2 lines in the same post.... Why do you think boats with a 470 are so cheap?

I don't 'hate' these engine, actually I think they are quite nice, BUT I am aware of their problems and try to steering people away from them.. Especially now they are getting quite old and parts are all but non-existent...

Chris.....

nola mike

Vice Admiral

You can't use those 2 lines in the same post.... Why do you think boats with a 470 are so cheap?

I don't 'hate' these engine, actually I think they are quite nice, BUT I am aware of their problems and try to steering people away from them.. Especially now they are getting quite old and parts are all but non-existent...

Chris.....
Well, that just isn't quite true. There are some nla parts, but all commonly replaced items are easy to come by. In 4 seasons of heavy use with mine the only 470 related repair has been the alternator conversion. Some things I think are cheaper-you're only replacing 1 riser, for example, and the manifolds last much longer (mine are original) since there's no raw water going through them. I got mine knowing the issues, and paid about 1k less than a comparable 4.3l. Well worth it IMHO. I'd do it again.