merc 470 water in my oil???

sampleofme

Cadet
so here we go ive wanted a boat for aslong as i can remember i did some trading for some stuff that i got for free so all in all i got this boat for free anyways its a 1984 bayliner santiago with a merc 470! so here is the deal ive been getting it tuned up and ready to gofor the summer ive been running it at my house with the ear muffs on and i have had zero problems with water getting in my oil! and it is running great flick the key and it fires right up! so i got it all ready to go called all my friends up took it to the river we all pilled in and had a blast for about five minutes lol we were waiting for a few others to show up so i didnt get to far from the dock we did do alot of starting and stopping so on the last stop i figured i should check the engine just cause and found steam coming out of my air cleaner checked the oil and it was all milky!! so i brought it home drained and changed the oil fired it backup in my driveway ran it for a few minutes and no oil at all!!!and keep in mind that i have a water resoivor on the motor and it filled with 50/50 antifreeze and has lost zero water level! so im thinking its my exhaust flapper?? what does everyone else think???

thanks bryan

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 171.jpg
    171.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: merc 470 water in my oil???

no oil at all!!!

You mean no water right? Anyway there is almost no way for raw water to get into the engine. Shutters not likely the cause. If you still have the milky oil see if it is water or antifreeze (you should be able to smell antifreeze). If it is just water, could be some condensation that was sitting on the bottom of the pan that got blended into the oil when you ran it hard. The one thing you do need to check is the weep hole on the engine waterpump. Take a look at the pump, on the lower starboard side there should be a small hole. Make sure it is clear. The 470 has a waterpump driven directly by the camshaft. There are two seals that keep coolant out of the engine crankcase. If the front seal on the pressure side fails the antifreeze leaks into the space between the two seals, and dribbles out of the weep hole rather than going past the second seal into the engine, so make sure that hole is open. You should probably also do a compression check and cooling system pressure test. You can borrow the tools to do both from Autozone (free). Let us know, lots of 470 guys to help here. Welcome to the "470 Club" :eek::D

sampleofme

Cadet

yes i meant there was no water getting into the oil after i checked it today and the resoivor that hold the anitfreeze is full and has not moved whats so ever!! if the seals where bad or the block was cracked wouldnt it be leaking into the oilpan?? what really gets me is why can i run it at my house off of the garden hose but put it in the river and it gets water in the motor?? also is this a merc motor or a ford motor?? oh and it did not get hot at either at my house or at the river!

tpenfield

Staff member

May be cracked cylinder head. Time for the compression test and cylinder leak test.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

May be cracked cylinder head. Time for the compression test and cylinder leak test.

X2 on compression test also could be blown head gasket on 470's the #4 cylinder is the first to go on the head gasket and what stonyloam said is another common problem for antifreeze in the oil
from the look of your pictures you have the old voltage regulator that will become a problem that's why most 470 owners convert to a alternator

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The first (and easiest) thing to do is find and check that weep hole, a toothpick should slide right in. If it is not open that could very well be your problem. If it is open, start on muffs and look for any antifreeze leaking out while running.

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer

Possible another exhaust riser issue ?