merc 4 hp gear shift problem

qproqengr

Recruit
I bought a merc mariner 4 hp last fall and the prop was damaged on an underwater concrete block. I replaced the prop, and the motor starts fine, idles and revs; however, when shifted into forward or reverse from idle, the prop does not spin. It seems like the tilt lever is not working properly as it does not release the catch on the tilt pin. Also, it seems like this affects the movement of the pin that drops into the lower unit. This is my first outboard. I don't have a manual yet, and don't want to start taking things apart yet. Any ideas? Could this be a simple fix? I'm reluctant to take it to local shop where I don't know the mechanics. I'm in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for your help.

Re: merc 4 hp gear shift problem

When you move the shift lever. check for a pin that comes out of the top of the drive shaft housing. This pin latches the motor down in reverse.
If it is not engaging properly the shift linkage may be out of adjustment.
There is a rubber cover halfway down the drive shaft housing that allows you to get at a nut and bolt to adjust this. You have of course checked to make sure you put a shear pin in when you installed the new prop.
Brian Evans.