Merc 3.0 With Alpha One question

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at purchasing a 1989 Sea Ray 160 with a Merc 3.0 4 with a Alpha One outdrive. The boat is in great shape.<br /><br />Question,<br />The person I am buying it from said that the outdrive lower unit went out and they replaced all the gears and had it rebuilt and used it two times since. I am meeting him on Friday to take the boat for a test drive. They seem to be honest good people. Is there anything that I should be looking for or leary of?

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Merc 3.0 With Alpha One question

There are lots of things to check. Check the florr for soft spots, reach under the ski locker and see if it is wet. Check the motor's oil before and after and make sure it is not milky. Check the fluid in the outdrive and see if it has metal chunks in it. Look at the bellows and make sure they are not cracked or rotted, ask when they were replaced. Drive the boat for atleast thirty minutes at various speeds, everything from wide open runs for a few minutes to just cruising speed. Watch the temp gauge. ASk when the impellar was replaced also.<br /><br />I am sure others will think of something I missed. Good Luck! It could be worth your money to pay a mechanic to check it or a boat surveyor.

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply!<br /><br />The floor is solid, and the interior is not sun faded or cracked. I have not checked any of the fluids in the boat, so I will definatly do that. Is there any special concerns regarding the rebuild of the lower unit?

vipzach

Lieutenant

Originally posted by justaboatin:<br /> Is there any special concerns regarding the rebuild of the lower unit?
Not if it was done correctly! I had the upper half of mine rebuilt last year and did not have any problems the rest of the year. Are you familar with how an oudrive sounds? There will be a thud when you put it in gear, that is normal, just how the dog clutches work. After that, you should not really hear any thing else. <br /><br />Be sure and give the boat some hard turns and listen for noise from the u-joint.