Merc 260 Thermostat Housing Design #2 - Help!!

1988 Merc 260, Alpha MR, Raw Water Cooling, Thermostat Housing Design #2.

Ok here we go:
I had a leak in my thermostat housing so I ordered the OEM kit with a new thermostat for a quick repair. I disassembled the housing only to find it was empty, no thermostat, on spacer. Also temp gauge never worked since I got the boat and I finally found out why, the person that "fixed" housing the last time used automotive gaskets (no ground for the sender)

So the new gasket should fix my temp gauge issue, but what am I going to do about the spacer? I already told the wife we are going boating this weekend and backing out of those plans is not an option. Why did Merc install the thermostat in the housing anyways? Is there a reason I cant just install the thermostat in the intake manifold like GM designed it? Does anyone have the dimensions of the plastic spacer? I might have to build my own spacer if all else fails?

Thanks in advance

Re: Merc 260 Thermostat Housing Design #2 - Help!!

ill buy the spacer, i just cant get it before the weekend

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need the spacer.

Go without the thermostat and spacer, they aren't necessary, and it won't hurt a thing.

There, I typed what you wanted to hear.. I don't believe it for a minute, but that's what you want to hear.

You need the spacer.

There, I typed what you wanted to hear.. I don't believe it for a minute, but that's what you want to hear.

Now theres a nice constructive post, feel free to shed some more insite on the subject all mighty oracle