Merc 165 inline 6 73 to 78

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Hey guys new to the forum I purchased a 1984 mfg caprice 19ft bowrider with a merc 165 inline 6 I drain the old fuel replaced the trim pump and was ready for the first run on the muffs. Turned the key and it cranks very well and nothing not even a burb check for spark and no spark getting stumped any suggestions would be awesome thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Clean your points. Run a nail file thru twice, then wipe with a light cloth dipped in acetone.

That should do it

After it fires, set the points at the required gap, set the dwell, and verify timing

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Check for voltage at the positive side of the coil. As Scott mentioned, check the points and make sure they will open and close as the distributor rotates

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Thanks i will try that tonite. What is a good procedure for testing the coil and what are the good ohm numbers to see

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
999,999,999 times out of one billion its not the coil

perfect test for coil. with +12 to coil, use a spark tester connected to the coil wire, and momentarily touch a wire from ground to the negative terminal and remove.

if points sit for more than a few months, you need to clean them

other maintenance on this new to you boat is to change the raw water impeller and the bellows

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
That's a great old dependable engine. I agree with the others about the points. However - you said you drained the old fuel. How long has this been sitting without being started? If very long at all the chances are good that the carb will need to be rebuilt as well.