Merc 150 carbed motor Bogs down

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but what happens is, I'll be running on plan and she'll start to "starve for gas" ( seems like ) and stall out. My primer ball goes empty and I have a hard time squeezing up the gas. One time I though it could be a vapor lock and opened my gas cap and it worked, The primer ball primed up, the next time it happened, it didn't. I have replaced my Racor twice, thinking it was that ( in a matter of 20 hrs of each other) no water in them, and replaced the in line fuel filter as well. Coming in from a trip yesterday got on plane and after 1/4 ml. or so she started again and I had my cousin hand squeezing the ball while we were running to keep her running and after approx 2 mins. of that all went well. My motor is a 150 Merc. Salt water carbed engine, decarbed, new NGK plugs, racor and in line fuel filter. It's a 2004 with the org. primer ball and gas lines. I haven't noticed any cracks in the line or ball, and I always use Star-Tron with any gas I add, and like I said don't believe it's a water or separation problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc 150 carbed motor Bogs down

Hi,

You may want to check you tank vent line. If it has a loop or
a low spot fuel could get up there and starve out the motor.
Also your tank anti syphon valve which is usually
at the top of the pickup tube.

Sandjob

Seaman
Re: Merc 150 carbed motor Bogs down

I had same issue with my 225 efi. I suggest looking at your check valve mounted on your tank first. Looks like a 3/8 inch hose barb but usually has a check valve inside. After that replace your fuel lines (especially if they are grey). The new ethanol fuels have been breaking down the inner liner of the old grey stuff.-Use inboard fuel hose(black) to replace. Make sure you keep the new fuel line short as can be. My problem was the grey fuel line-took 4 months to figure out and I boat every weekend year round.

Good luck