Merc 140 I4 prop pitch

Jsiples

Seaman
My WOT is 4600 with four people ( average amount of people that will be in the boat ) 18' Sylvan open bow, spedometer does not work but guessing in the upper thirty mph range. The prop I have on is extremely chewed up so it is hard to tell if that size is correct. I purchased this boat from another individual who had this one on it. I did however get an additional prop that is 14 1/2 x 19p that is larger than what is on there. It will fit on the shaft correctly but the hub ring behind the prop is just a bit too small for the right fit. My two questions are will this other prop be too big for my engine? Can I purchase a new larger hub ring to fit this new prop? I am assuming the one on there is in the 17p vicinity it is so torn up I cannot tell what size it truly is. Any help would be excellent, I know some of the specifics may not be ideal if there is anything else I can explain to help, please let me know.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 140 I4 prop pitch

I did however get an additional prop that is 14 1/2 x 19p that is larger than what is on there. It will fit on the shaft correctly but the hub ring behind the prop is just a bit too small for the right fit.

If you take the Prop Off the drive,.... There's Usually #s stamped into the hub, behind the Nut.......
Find out What's on there Now,+ Buy a Copy of it,......
It sounds like it's about the Right Prop for Your application......

Last edited: