Merc 115 Inline 6 bogging down and surging...

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1983 Merc 115 inline 6 and I have rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and replaced all of the wiring between the switchboxes and coils (as they were badly corroded and breaking). I have also replaced the plugs and plug wires. Initially I was getting what seemed to be limited spark on 1, 3, & 5 so I replaced the switchbox and I seem to be getting spark on all 6 now. The fuel lines seem to be clean and free from debris and the fuel tank pick up and vent are clear as well. When I got this boat I took it out and it seemed to run really good and opened up to full throttle. I only ran it for a few minutes at WOT and then came back to get one of my buddies from the dock. When I took back off the motor was stalling out at about 2K RPM - That was last summer and since then I have done all of the work described previously. Now the motor starts fine and idles pretty well, but seems to need the carbs synced. But as soon as I throttle up to about 1500 - 1800 RPM the motor starts bogging down and missing and if you go a little further the motor will start surging and RPMs will jump up and down. I had it out on the lake and if I open to full throttle in gear it will bog all the way down and not run any further than 2500 RPM, but still moving at the 1500 RPM speed. I have done resistance tests on the stator, trigger, and rectifier and all test within my manuals specs and compression is good. Can anyone tell me what I might be missing? And what other test I can do to help keep me from dropping a ton of money on parts that I may not need?

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 115 Inline 6 bogging down and surging...

I wanted to check the DVA voltage out of the Stator, but I don't have a clue on how to do it and what the readings should be, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There is a troubleshooting procedure for your ADI ignition on the CDI website or the dolphinmarineservices.com web site. Your stator high speed windings may be bad...

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much for the info...I will look into it and see what I can come up with...stayed tuned, LOL...

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I was checking out the dolphinmarineservice.com website as you guys had instructed me to do and one of the test for something completely different then what I was seeming to be having issues with instructed to disconnect the rectifier and try. I disconnected all of the wiring to and from the rectifier and the motor is running almost seamlessly on the muffs...I will get it on the water and test it out and see how she does. My questions to you are...is it alright for me to do a test run at the lake without a rectifier attached and secondly, could a rectifier really cause my motor to miss and bog down so badly or am I just dreaming for an easy fix, LOL?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You may test boat w/o rectifier. Why not test rectifier and if bad, replace it.

I do not know if a bad rectiifer could affect spark. It does sound likely.

NewYork you can get a new rectifier at Radio Shack for $3.95. All a rectifier does is convert AC to DC in one direction.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NewYork you can get a new rectifier at Radio Shack for $3.95. All a rectifier does is convert AC to DC in one direction.

Wow, that is really cheap...I will look into that. BTW, Native I just wanted to throw out a big, THANK YOU! You have been a ton of help in guiding me in the right directions in this fun, but long elimination process...keep up the good work :D.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I took out the ol' Skeeter yesterday with the rectifier disconnected and she screamed across the water like a wild banshee! Thanks to everyone for all of the help and I can't explain how happy I am right now. I bought this boat last summer and the ol' merc never ran more than about 5 mph, LOL. I of course didn't have the tach or GPS up yesterday, but I would say that she was pushing 40+. Which was a little scary considering that my steering is partially stripped out, ha, ha. Take care everyone and I'll see ya around the forums or maybe even the local lakes. Peace.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Native, I ran by Radio Shack today and looked at all of their rectifiers and diodes and I couldn't find anything that even distantly resembled my rectifier. Do you have any idea of what is looks like, voltage, and do you know anyone that has used one from Radio Shack on their Merc?

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet...Thanks native. Is this what you have yours rigged with? I saw this one at the store today, but I have no idea which wires would go where.

Yep NewYork. Look at the package that it comes in, there are two post that are marked with this symbol ~. The two yellow wires from the stator go on those post, they are AC voltage so either wire can go on either post marked ~. The red power wire goes to the + post and the brown or black wire goes to the - post. If you have a wire going to the Tach it will go on the post with the red +.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once again, Native I appreciate your help...take it easy buddy and happy boating.