Merc 115 (92) can't throttle in neutral

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 92 Merc 115 with a Moorse control unit. I cannot seem to be able to throttle in neutral. Engine must be in gear brfore you can throttle. This seems incorrect to me as I thought it should be able some how to lock in Neutral to throttle. The problem is that it needs to be in gear to start the engine.

Need some guidance and help here

Thanks

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc 115 (92) can't throttle in neutral

You must have something broke in the throttle/shifter control.

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no every thing appears ok. I simply have to lift the gear lever to throttle and I thought I should be able to throttle up in neutral but it stops at the gear lock. So I am lost as to why.

LR

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You know, this really isn't rocket science. It's two separate push/pull levers at the motor so it cannot be the motor. Neutral throttle, as far as the motor is concerned, is simply moving the throttle cable without first moving the shifter cable. Don't believe me? Pull off the engine cover and look at the lower port side. Have somebody move the throttle while you watch the cables move.

Don't you have a button to push for neutral only throttle?

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with your assesment at the motor. What you said is right on. But No there is no button. When I look at the throttle assembly I do not see any button for the neutral. All I have is the trim up and down. My Sea Ray control has a button at center of the pivot at the throttle. I expected a similar setup on the outboard.

This is my first outboard so I do appriciate all your help here. I have always had and I/O. But still same concept and function it should be similar.

LR