Mechanic said gears are junk, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoughFishAssassins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Title says it all. after having issues with what we thought was the linkage, I had enough and took it to the mechanic. He thought it was the gears and after a quick dig he confirmed it. So now my question, Could the three little tabs that the clutch dog engages on be remachined? The forward gear runs about 500-700 for a new one, and I can find some used ones, but I also have access to a couple of guys that are good in the machine shop. This is just a thought that I had and I want to ask the more"seasoned" guys out there.

a good machinist can fix anything and probably improve on the original, The question is how much time are they going to spend doing it.

I might have a set of gears I can send you from a 73 115393m 115hp. I think they are the same. Lower is still assembled so I would need a few days to tear it down to make sure the gears are good. parts are free if you pay postage.

RoughFishAssassins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That would be awesome, just did a quick look, and from what I can see the gears are the same, but the clutch dog is different. How is that possible?

If the gears are good I would be willing to pay the shipping just let me know what that would be to zip 53061 and we will square up. Thank you so much.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Geesh, that is an offer and a half if I have ever heard one! Good Karma on your way Glenn!

nwcove

Admiral
glenn, how did you know what motor the op has? are pms working?

No Title

glenn, how did you know what motor the op has? are pms working?

spider sense.....lol no I just click on his name then looked for the post he refrenced.

ok good news and bad news.

good news is gears are out reverse looks good.
bad news is the dog was shot and the forward gear has some wear. im not sure if the gear is good.

easier to get the gears out after fighting the fire ants and resorting to chemical warfare then it is to post a pic. think this should work

JesterGrin_1

Seaman Apprentice
The Picture worked just a small picture of the gear but the picture itself is BIG.

And GREAT Offer. I may have to look for these gears as well for my 76 85HP Lower Unit. :(

roughfish do you think the gears are usable with the 1/16th of a inch chamfer on the leading edge of the gear where the dog engages or not? If it wasn't a shop doing the work I would say that the gears have a few years left in them and the dog could be reversed but with shop labor rates its your call.
Im just happy that I finally got a reason to rip the lower to bits so I could get the drive shaft and make a spare prop holder for my boat. Cut the shaft and tig welded it on a stainless disk. now I just need to mount it to the inside transom of the boat so my spare prop/nut/spacers can be stored on it.

RoughFishAssassins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For some reason my last post didnt work. From what the mechanic had showed me and discussed, them gears might work but probably not very long i guess, seems the clutch dog only engages on the very end of the gear. Not knowing howthe lower completely works, I believe what he says. I truly thank you for going out on a limb and checking them out for me. I also love the idea of the spare prop holder, I may have to do that when I get that far also. I have a couple other leads that I am checking on, none quite as good as yours was, but still better than new, lol. Once again, thank you for the attempt, definetly good karma your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.