Measure your tool for me.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not that one....

This one

The pinion nut tool. Somebody here has to have one.

I think i've done a pretty good job of drawing up the dimensions just by internet pics for this tool, but it'd be a lot easier if someone could give me dimensions I could compare to, to the nearest 1/16".

I need:

OD - Dimension A
ID - Dimension B
Width of Face - Dimension C
Depth of Pocket - Dimension D
Width of Shaft Slot - Dimension E
Width of Nut Pocket - Dimension F

Also, not shown, Length of the Shaft Slot (G).

Just to see how close I am for a tool I've never held in my hands, I've guessed these numbers:

A - 2 1/2"
B - 1 3/4"
C - 1 1/16"
D - 1/4"
E - 9/16"
F - 7/8"
G - 1 1/2"

Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm way in the hole after rebuilding my lower a few weeks ago, launching the boat, and hitting a rock within 4 hours. I can't afford to buy any more than I have to for this boat for the rest of the season, so I'm trying to build everything myself.

So far I've made a bearing carrier tool for the 3.75" retaining ring, a shift shaft bushing removal tool, a super beefy bearing carrier puller, and now I need to add this, the spline adapter to turn the shaft, and the drive shaft retaining nut tool. The meter is running again for every day I'm stuck back in dry dock.
Oh, I pretty much re-made the bearing carrier itself, too.

W-90210-Alpha-1-pinion-nut-holder.jpg

soggy_feet

Re: Measure your tool for me.

Nobody has a tool and a tape measure nearby?

I was really hoping to get started on this tool before my replacement shaft got here. Would prefer to get it right on the first shot. Trial and error can take quite a while.

alldodge

Staff member

Wish I could help but I don't have one, maybe this bump will be seen by someone who does

soggy_feet

I have a feeling I'm going to have to convince one of the local shops to give me 2 minutes with one of theirs to take some measurements.

When I installed my drive last Monday morning, I didn't have my hex wrenches with me and discovered I had clocked the shift shaft too far to one side and I couldn't hit reverse. I was begrudgingly loaned a wrench from the yard for the 4 minutes I needed it to split the upper and lower and reset the shaft. I was told "we don't normally loan tools".

If that's the reaction to a simple hex wrench, I don't have a lot of faith in getting my hands on the specialty tool. We'll see...

alldodge

Staff member

Might even want to try this again after the weekend, holiday and all. I'm in lower KY and it will be raining hear for another day or so, hence the reason I'm online

soggy_feet

Yeah, I'll be monitoring it.

Not much to do otherwise. Maybe put a big wooden plug in the drive bellows and launch the boat again as a barge.

I've got a 15hp gamefisher that needs a new carb (unavailable) that sort of pushes the boat around when it's calm. That'd be a sight.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I was begrudgingly loaned a wrench from the yard for the 4 minutes I needed it to split the upper and lower and reset the shaft. I was told "we don't normally loan tools".

If that's the reaction to a simple hex wrench, I don't have a lot of faith in getting my hands on the specialty tool. We'll see...[/QUOTE]

We make a living from our tools, had everyone asking to use them we had to put a stop to it! Oop's I dropped it in the lake,I forgot to bring it back till a week later,I only need it for a minute... The list goes on...$10.000 in tools and not even close to really having just the right ines sometimes.they do wear out and have to be replaced. Am I anal about my tool's? You bet I am! I'm ordering another grand of tools this year just to keep them ready for when you show up and want to go boating NOW! Enough of my rant,It's the 4th,just got back from the marina helping a stranded boater,on my day off....
Grub

soggy_feet

The boat was AT THE YARD. I walked a whole 100 yards with a $4 wrench, and had it back in the toolbox it came from within 15 minutes.
Also, I've done thousands of dollars worth of business with them over the last 3 years. I would hope that means something.

I can totally understand not letting someone take a tool home, but there are situations where a little give and take will help YOU make a little better living with your tools. Namely, return business, and referrals.

I will be making a pinion nut tool, one way or another. Shops can help me help them make money on less mechanically capable boaters by referral, or don't help at all, and lose business. Either way, I'll have my pinion tool.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I do have a little give and take,but it got so bad that everone started helping themselves,ya never knew who had what. Now the toolroom is locked,and they have to ask.