Mcm470 closed water system

Bobby Grd

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat with a MCM470 it was overheating. I took out the thermostat and did not replace the gasket. I mistakenly took the water pump cover off looking for the stat and did not replace the gasket. The boat ran fine for a while then started to overheat again. I took the pump cover off and the secondary housing for the water pump off but could not get it off because the wheel was in the way. I have checked the outdrive water pump by removing the hose connected to the heat exchanger and cranking the engine I had good lake water flow. I also cranked the engine while the internal pump housing was off and it cranked fine also. Do I just need new gaskets and a new thermostat and new internal fluid? I did take the end off the heat exchanger and it seemed open. When I do pull the wheel with my wheel puller should I have it re timed? Should I go ahead and replace the internal water pump if I have the thing apart? By the way it is a 1979 Marquis boat. Also the boat cranks over every time on the first time, it seems to run well when its not hot.

Thanks for looking,
Bobby