MC 1 Question and greetings from new member

PeteK

Cadet
Hello all,

Been reading through post after post and learning as I go. A wealth of information for sure.

Current project is a 1969 Starcraft StarChief with a 3.0 GM and an MC-1 stern-drive. Have the lower unit off for painting and new water pump kit and will be re-installing in near future. Goal is to get in a test run on the water then perform additional service if required - like if the oil is milky.

Question: What is the machine screw in the attached link?

Best,

PeteK

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome aboard,
Lots of knowledgeable folks here. Can't help with your question but hopefully someone will chime in

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Haha. That's a stumper....No idea what that is, but I don't think it is original or supposed to be there.

Alumarine

Captain
I'm going to guess that it's plugging the opening where the gimbal bearing grease fitting was.
Although on the older drives they didn't have a grease channel for the gimbal bearing so I might be wrong.

What's the serial no.?

Oh, and welcome?

PeteK

Cadet
Thanks for the responses. I've yet to find a serial number as the stickers are way too faded. If there is some hidden stamped or engraved serial location I'd love to find it. It is definitely an MC-1. That I know at least for the lower unit. Also the corresponding hole on the starboard side of the housing has a few threads protruding like it goes all the way through. Spoke to the previous owner who has no idea why it is there. He is familiar with the screw/location but lived with it and apparently was not curious enough to investigate.

Alumarine

Captain
On the port side of the drive there might be a serial no. under the decal that's approximately 1"x3"