mc-1 gimbal bearing and shift cable

harman79

Seaman Apprentice
Can I use a alpha bearing to replace the snap ring bearing that I have.
I also need a new shift cable and they don't sell one that bolts in from the front. Can I use a alpha cable the bolts in from the aft. Are the lengths the same or don't matter. one last question Does anyone know what would cause the upper unit to rub hard on one side of the gimbal ring.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: mc-1 gimbal bearing and shift cable

using the new type of bearing is fine, same for the shift cable. you do need the special tap .no cutting necessary

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... one last question Does anyone know what would cause the upper unit to rub hard on one side of the gimbal ring.

Post photos... but if you're talking about the bottom part of the gimbal ring (the drive side supports) that's normal...

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a pic off the wear. Also are the bellows for a alpha smooth where they clamp on or is there a ridge?001.JPG

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Here is a pic off the wear. Also are the bellows for a alpha smooth where they clamp on or is there a ridge?View attachment 152095

WOW!!! That's one very old unit... I can't help you I'm afraid, I've never worked on anything that old... Sorry...

old style shift cable is available here at iboat store Part # 18-2248

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

are sierra a good cable? It also says it does not have the support tube. What is that?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

go with the newer style cable,the thin tube that went over your thin cable was called the suppport tube. new cable eliminates it and the cutting and measuring.