maycraft 18- how to aviod the rot

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice
I'm getting ready to buy a new maycraft 18 skiff cc. I know the boat has a lot of wood in the construction- Any suggestions on how to keep this type vessel in a-1 shape and avoid the rot as long as possible? I live in Virginia and the boat will be kept on the trailer if it makes any difference. Also, anybody have any experience with the durability of the Maycraft? This is my first new boat purchase and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: maycraft 18- how to aviod the rot

Make sure the manufacturer has made provision for water to drain from the inner hull, usually out through the drain plug hole. Trapped water is a killer. Let the boat dry out thoroughly when it's not in the water. Don't asume that anything is watertight. "If it can, it will".

gw204

Seaman

iwhitevt, I think you have made a good choice in going with the Maycraft. It seems as though the general consensus is that wood in boats now a days is bad. That's entirely not true. Poorly constructed boats are bad. While I don't have any direct experience with their boats, I am always hearing great things. If you can see into the bilge, check for any signs of exposed wood. If you see it have it addressed/sealed by the dealer or builder before you accept delivery. If you mount anything on the boat, especially on the transom, don't skimp on the sealer. I like to use 5200 from 3M for those things you won't have to remove, 4200 for the things you do.<br /><br />Jack has it right, check all compartments in the hull that you have access to for drainage. If the gas tank is under the floor make sure there is a plug to drain that compartment. The last thing you need is rotten wood and a leaky fuel tank. I always pull every plug when my boat is high and dry. Other than those things, there's really not much you can do to prevent rot. If the boat was built right, it won't rot. Good luck and have fun with your new toy!!

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys- do you think leaving the hatches open to let them ventilate while in storage will help- or just allow more moisture in?

crab bait

Captain

seal the ' holes'side walls in the transom thickness for the bolts for motor or other stuff ,, a major gateway for rot,, with epoxy least 2 coats worth.. then reinstall bolts.. don't rely on chaulk or other stuff other then 3 M 5200 but epoxy will soak into the transome wood better & give the ultimiate protection.. <br /><br />wet wood doesn't rot persay.. rot comes after wet wood dries out...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Keep the hatches open and if it were mine I would put it under a carport or some typy of cover to keep the rain out.

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw this posted somewhere...<br /><br />If you are wondering what to do about wood rot check out the article entitled Chemotherapy for Rot at boatbuilding.com. New use for antifreeze!