Maxum 1800 sr 1992

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice. I need to replace the throttle lever assembly on my boat and have to find a replacement. Does anybody know which type I could use? Thanks a million

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mercruiser, volvo or OMC?

What lead you to the conclusion you need to change your controls?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You likely have a Mercury or Mercruiser. Suggest upgrading to the Mercury Gen II control. You will have to update to gen II cables but worth it.

Mercruiser. The current lever assembly is very reluctant to go into neutral even after being stripped down, cleaned and greased. The stern drive cables are all worn too. I bought the boat for a real bargain so I don't mind putting money into it! 😀

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the stiffness going into gear may be the cables which area a wear item. specifically the lower shift cable

I had the cables off and they seemed fine. The old unit was a US marine type. The lift button underneath the lever is also very worn where it disengage on the shaft too so I thought that I would just upgrade the whole shebang. I'm in Ireland so the weather window is very small for the summer so I just wanted to get it done!