Maxium Spark Advance

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor - 1967 Mercury Twin 350, Serial Number 2258858

When I acquired this motor it was running, but that is all I can say (not strong, but it had a pulse!)

During the last two months, I have had the starter rebuilt, replaced the seloniod, new spark plugs, checked compression (135 psi on both cylinders), rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, and fixed the reverse lock.

After all this the motor is MUCH better, but it still has an erratic high speed operation (like it losses a cylinder for a second). This problem starts after you run the motor for a minute or two and gets worse the longer you run it.

Since the motor is nearing 40 years of age, I thought the flywheel needed to come off so I could inspect and replace the points and condensors. This is where the real trouble for me began.

I was following the instructions in my Clymer Manual and had replaced and set the points and replaced the condensors. But the instructions for setting the Maxium Spark Advance left me confused. I found Top Dead Center, backed it off 0.3000 of an inch, but I am lost when it comes to my Ohm meter.

According to the manual. I am too ground one of the electrodes from my meter, and I am to attach the other electode to the number one ignition point (is that the spark plug wire or the point itself?) My meter shows the same reading when the points are open, closed, advanced, or retarded. I have continuity no mater what I contact!

Where did I go wrong?

I feel that I am one the right track to solving my problem because one of the points I removed appeared to be the original equipment while the other had be replaced. And it felt like my problem was only in one cylinder.

Sorry to be long winded, but I wanted to make sure the smart folks on this board had all the information

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Maxium Spark Advance

dissconect the ign primary and condenser wires from the contacts. place one lead to a good ground the other where the primary wires went, when the points open you will,or should read infinity.

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt said:
dissconect the ign primary and condenser wires from the contacts. place one lead to a good ground the other where the primary wires went, when the points open you will,or should read infinity.

So, I need to disconnect the three wires that connect on each stud from the point set? That would makes a little more sense. I have an ignition primary, a condensor wire, and a third wire from the wiring harness (one white wire on nubmer one, and a green wire on number two)

Where did I miss that paragraph in the manual? I reread chapter 5 and 6 a half dozen times gearing up for the project and I check myself EVERY step of the way!

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Question on setting the points?

My manual says "about" .020 for the distance between the points. I read that as a SUGGESTION not a necessary rule. Could I use .018 or .022?

The reason for asking, when I went to set the maxium spark advance. The points are breaking WAY before the advance reaches the stop. And there is no more adjustment left in the linkage.

Where could a find a better set of instructions to walk me through setting the points and maxium spark advance? There seems to be a comunication barrier between me and my manual.

Thanks for all the help.

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Am I asking the wrong questions?

I am going to be elbow deep in the motor in a few hours and I was hoping to have the confidence of iboats with me.

Thanks,