Max weight of my axles?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Max weight of my axles?

I have a aluminum dual axel trailer with 13" tires that has a 20' well craft on it..which I am going to be selling..so if you bring me your dual axel trailer plus $750 it will be yours...but I know it is a long way from WV...probably 8-10 hour drive..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree that upgrading this current trailer with stronger axles is out of the question.

Steve

Where was it said that your current trailer cannot be upgraded with stronger axles. It most certainly can and there are lots of places to obtain the axles. They are also not a major expense. You only need brakes on the back axle so that too saves time if you bought the axle and brakes together. You cannot use the brakes you have as they are likely too small for the hubs that would be installed on the new axle. But all of this still leaves you guessing because you don't actually know how much capacity you really need. Just to clarify, when you checked the bearings, did you check both of them (an inner and an outer). If you only checked the outer bearing you should know that both bearings on a 2000# axle are 1-1/16. On a 3500# axle the outer is 1-1/16 and the inner is 1-3/8. If you only checked the outer bearing then you may actually have 3500# axles.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was raining all day, so I didn't pull a wheel yet, but from what I have found, the size of the axle itself means its no more than 1800# and axle.

I guess I could get really cheap 2000lb axles and a set of 10" drums. I would still have a total of about $1500 including the price of the trailer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

And how much is a new galvanized trailer to fit your boat?

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

And how much is a new galvanized trailer to fit your boat?

I can't remember exactly. I think somewhere around $2800.

If I do actually profit $1000, then I'd really only be spending $1800 for a brand new trailer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's what I'd do. Just for fun the other day I did some light researching as to what a brand new aluminum trailer for my boat would run. Looked like somewhere between $1200 and $1700. Shoot, that'd be the best money I ever spent! I've rehabbed a trailer. Been there, done that, never again.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I agree. I learned my lesson. But hey, I'm still making money on my mistake :) Could have been worse.

I'm going to Charlotte, NC this weekend to visit a friend. There are tons of boat dealerships down there. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha, what do you think I've been doing? There are ZERO trailers available in my area. Marinas will also say the same.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found several guys selling new, tandom axle trailers, with disk brakes and LED lights for between $2400 and $2600. That's an awesome deal, but it's still more than I want to spend.

Now, there is one guy who is selling a painted, tandom axle trailer, with non working brakes, and automotive tires, for $800. He will take some measurements to confirm, but he said they are at least 2000# axles. 2" diameter. Problem is new brakes, $400. New tires, $300. That means I'll have at least $1500 into this trailer.

As I type this, seems like the new trailers are a better deal.

Here are my options. One is meant for a 21-23 ft trailer, torsion axles, rated at $5200 lbs. I'm afraid that will still be too stiff. He's asking $2699.

Another, copied from an e-mail: "You could go with a TAL18-21 4000 with one axle brakes 2500.00
Brand new, led lights, oil bath hubs, 2 year warranty."

There is another guy with a trailer with basically 20 miles that came with a Sea Ray. 20 ft, tandom axle with disk brakes, for $2400. 4200lb capacity.

Probably any of these trailers would be fine, huh?

Steve

SparkieBoat

Captain

I need to buy some trailers from down here and bring them up there..could double my money easy

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah you do....you aren't going to be in Charlotte this weekend by any chance, are you?

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want to thank everyone for helping me. I decided to go with a brand new EZ Loader trailer. LED lights, oil bath hubs, disk brakes, tandem axle, PVC guides, and a 2 year warranty for $2500.

I'm picking it up this weekend.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I know I was a pain in the ***, but I did learn a ton in a very short amount of time. I learned more about trailers than I could have imagined. The good thing, is if I sell this old trailer that I bought for anything more than $450, I'm making money. I'm expecting to sell it for no less than $1200. That'll help with cost of the new trailer.

Thank you everyone!
Steve