Max weight capacity of trailer tires + Tongue Weight?

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a tandem which came straight from the boat dealer with OEM tires rated to 1480lbs each (5920lbs total). I always assumed my whole rig is about 6400lbs wet. So this kind of threw me for a loop. Would I add another 10% for the tongue weight which would get me pretty close to my assumed number? Or am I making her fatter than she really is as the whole rig (boat/trailer+tongue) has to be under the 5920lbs?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Max weight capacity of trailer tires + Tongue Weight?

Ayuh,...

Even if you deduct the 10% the tow unit is carrying at the tongue,....
You're still borderline Overweight....
Maybe you can Upgrade the tires when you replace them, with something at a Higher capacity...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

how long have you had the boat. i would question the dealer for about, knowingly, selling you an under rated trailer. unsafe unit.

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a year old (January '07) The dry weight of the boat is 4150lbs and thats the standard tandem configuration according to the Dealer. After 2 boats I know them well enough to trust them but to verify.

It was my assumption I was at 6400lbs. So either my math is wrong or the tires are at capacity. either way i think i'll just find a scale.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

How are you coming up with the extra 2250 lbs? What size fuel tank, how much cargo, etc? Also is that 2250 including the weight of the trailer?