max speed ?..........

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello everyone... i am a new proud owner of a 1978 glastron cvx16. it has a 1978 140 tower of power ( that i am having the carbs rebuilt) and i didnt get it back yet and im getting ancious. i was just wondering if anyone could and would take a guess at what you think this boat might do as far as top speed is concerned. thanks and happy boating toocan:rolleyes:

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: max speed ?..........

That glastron will really move with the big merc...I'll guess 43:D

Be sure to post some video if ya can...or let us know where she tops out!

I just got a 80hp merc for a 16' aluminum boat and can't wait to see how she will handle. Good luck:)

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I get a bit nervous when I see all these new people here worried about how fast there boat will go. It seems like a trend here...................

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

We had an 83 Glastron SSV176 with an Evinrude 140 up until this summer. When it was new with the 19" prop I had on it a light load would show 49mph on the speedo (no gps in 83).

Yours is a lighter boat with a faster hull so I would think it would pull a 21" prop or better. I'm going to guess 55mph but it could be a bit more assuming the engine still has good compression.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all the replies, im a bit nervous myself. this is acually my forth boat this year and all i wanted was one that ran. i had blown up a merc 150 and purchaced a johnson 150 that the engine was too long for the boat, and then i bought a junk boat that had trees growing out of it and ran out of money half way threw the restore not to mention the 175 johnson that was for this boat is in my alley and yet to run??? anyway i got this 1978 glastron on the original trailer with the original motor and it ran before i bought it and the i found out i needed the carbs rebuilt. i have read that someone has this same boat with a 70 hp motor and it does about 45 mph. that is a little scary as far as i am concerned, mine has twice that much power. i do want to go fast, i always want to go fast but like you said "new boaters" i am, i dont know how fast i want to go?? anyway thanks and if it does anything like you guys said then we should be fine. happy boating toocan:)

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

that sounds like a fun, cool looking boat. wear your lanyard.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to see another older Glastron around.I've got a 20 fter that has a 150 that I'm playing with,but there won't be anything happening now till spring.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i wish i could talk myself into letting go until spring but the fever wont wear off. what happens when your spring fever goes right into another spring??? i hope it does not multiply!!! the old lady will leave me....

Ohioriver

Seaman

I had a 16 foot low profile boat with a 1975 merc 150 on it with a 22 pitch turbo prop, boat would run about 55 mph. It might chine walk on you, mine did until I added a jack plate and raised the engine a few inches which made a big difference and adds a few more mph. Have fun with it. The 150 I had also became the 140 when horsepower ratings started changing.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good s**t thats a good speed for me. i hope she walks a little or ill just want faster. i am the kind of guy you have to scare to slow down, well thats what the judge said. thanks guys for all!! toocan

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

my brother has a 1970s 17ft Baja Bass boat with the 115 merc tower of power and it feels like it runs 50-55mph. like riding a go kart your butt only a few inches off the surface.

i love the old Glastron GTs and bet your will fly!

supposedly Back in the eary 1980s a guy from my hometown of Orange,TX had a 140Johnston with alcohol injection or ran on alcohol ??? had his GT160 blow over backwards the 1st time he took it out and ran it on the river. fact or fiction -:confused:I'm not sure. is sister old me the story and that he was hopitalized.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Toocan, when are you going to post some pics of the boat???? I would love to see it!

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when i get home tonite ill put some on here!! thanks guys and i do hope she flys, but not over backwards! im not much of a swimmer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

eeehhhh, still waiting on those pics....anticipation is killing me.......

a70eliminator

Captain

50mph on the water feels like 100mph on land, if it weren't for the speedometer I'd swear my 30mph boat does 60. lol. I think you'll be plenty scared doing 50 in that low profile boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That CVX was made for speed. She will handle it with style. Don't be afraid, enjoy it. Just don't do anything stupid with the hull and you will be OK. Stupid means air time, crossing wakes at speed, sharp turns, and general horsing around.

Yeah, 60 on the water feels fast; I have a 14 foot flat bottom with a 125 that does 60. It is quite an enjoyable ride when there is no other boat traffic around.

That little hull in my avatar does 45 with a 50. That's a fun ride too.

With a Merc 140 I suspect that the CVX will get up over 60. If you want to know for sure, go over to classicglastron.com. They will know for sure.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry guys for the delay..... here are the pics that i got so far. i had the carbs rebuilt and when i got the boat back, theres no spark!!!! so anyway now thats my next venture. the guy that rebuilt it told me that it had nothing to do with his task. ????? so thats where that stands, but don't get it twisted im going to have this thing running sometime throughout summer 2010! thanks for the comments and p.s. hope it does go that fast becouse i cant put anymore horses on there.
11111008.jpg

11111006.jpg

3boatpics003.jpg

3boatpics001-1.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey, Toocan---Which Reading? PA? Never mind-- I saw your numbers. I am about 40 minutes south of you near West Chester. If you need help, PM me. We can get together and set up the boat and engine properly. (next season)

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow...thats great!! maybe we can do that, im going to replace most of the wires on the harness and the wire out of the bottom of the coil and we should have spark again. thanks for the thought, i may take you up on that offer. do you ever go to blue marsh lake??:)