Max Kicker for 15' Sailboat?

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am building a 15 foot Glen-L sailboat. A friend of mine has an outboard he said he will sell me if it will work on my sailboat. <br />I would like to know if this is too large for a 15 foot sailboat or if it will handle it. <br />This will be the cheapest outboard I will come by. <br />Any input would be appreciated. <br />Here are the specs from him: <br />----------------- <br />I think it’s a 9.8 Horsepower. It’s a 1985 Mercury. The SN is 6620673. Below are some of the Specs. from the Operation & Maintenance Manual: <br /><br />Crankshaft Horsepower = 9.8 <br />Propshaft kilowatts = 6.2 <br />Piston Displacement = 11 Cu. In. <br />Bore = 2.00” <br />Stroke = 1-3/4” <br />Full Throttle RPM Range = 5000-6000 <br />Idle Speed (in Gear) = 550-750 RPM <br />Spark Plug Gap = .040” <br />Gasoline/Oil Ratio = 50:1 <br />Transom Height = Short Shaft = 15” & Long Shat = 20” <br /><br />The price will be right if it is something that will work on your sailboat!

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Max Kicker for 15' Sailboat?

Well, you're building it so you can strengthen the transom to take it's weight. But that's an awfully big engine to be putting on a 15' sailboat. There will never be any point in operating it past about 1/3rd throttle and the weight of it will upset the trim of the boat quite a bit. <br />I would keep looking for a 3 or 4hp. If you can do without reverse, one of the little 50s-70s Johnny/Rudes would be my choice.<br />One last point - generally speaking with sailboats the longer shaft an engine the better. Since it's mounted off center, when the boat tips to the opposite site the prop tends to come out of the water & you loose cooling. Is that Merc a shortshaft or longshaft?