Mariner - Whats this hole for?

Case

Cadet
On my '87 15 Mariner, there is a screw with the word "WASH" cast just above it into the leg. What is it for and how is it used?<br /><br />It looks like a rinse port for the engine, except it isn't very big. I called my friendly dealer and the nice young lady that answered the phone had no idea.<br /><br />Thanks guys, and keep up the excellent work (How does schematic make all of those cool illustrations?).<br /><br />Case :cool:

Trent

Captain
Re: Mariner - Whats this hole for?

I guess the guys aint going to tell ya..Your right! Its for flushing and it takes a special adapter. If your cheap like me you will just get a bolt thats the right size and drill it out and connect the water hose to it (be creative).<br /><br />Just for your information..Your Mariner is not really a Mariner..Its a Yamaha.<br /><br /> Dont run it over idle on the hose.

Case

Cadet

Trent,<br /><br />Thanks a lot. You are correct. There is a made in Japan badge on the transom mount.<br /><br /><br />I figured those crafty asians had a way to deal with the water pickup placement and the issue of salt water flushing. Do I really have to run the motor? I figure hose pressure should do the trick. My motor is a bit cold mnatured and prefers to idle after it has run for about 2 minutes.<br /><br />Glad you own one of these. So far so good.<br /><br />Thanks again Trent... Smooth sailing and be safe on the water.<br /><br />Case :cool:

D

DJ

They're right. It's for flushing.<br /><br />My last Suzuki had the same thing. The manual for that engine said it did NOT have to be running to get a thorough flush. That engine actually had a bolt that needed to be removed to fit the flush adapter.<br /><br />Are you sure you didn't get something with the engine that you weren't sure exactly what it was for? Mine was in the tool kit that came with the engine.

Trent

Captain

I bought mine new in 1984 and it did not come with the flush adapter. To really flush it correctly you need to warm it up till the thermostat opens up. <br /><br />Also you can just drop the leg down into a garbage can and flush it that way.<br /><br />Iv never had any problem with the engine. Change the impeller every few years and the gear oil also. Plugs and fuel filter..Thats it. Good luck.