Mariner 40: No compression - stuck valve?

kryck

Cadet
I recently bought a Mariner 40 hp fourstroke from year 2000. It's been sitting for about 5 years due to the death of the previous owner. I do not beleive the motor was winterized before this storage.

The carbs seemed to be the obvious problem since there's a lot of fuel crystals in bowls and jets. Full rebuild will be made.

The engine goes around very easy by hand when plugs are removed but when I put my finger over the plug hole I only feel compression on cylinder 1 (top) and 3 (bottom). On the middle cylinder I don't feel a thing.

The seller, who knew the previous owner, was very sure of that the motor was working when it got stored away so I don't think it's at burnt piston/cylinder. My previous knowledge is only from twostrokes but I think that you often feel or hear if a piston/rings/cylinder is the problem and you often get a little feeling of the compression.

Without having yet removed the valve cover my guess is on a stuck inlet or exhaust valve. It's not that open that you can hear the piston hitting it, but I don't even know if they open that much. I guess that when I remove the valve cover it's pretty easy to see if the valves are following the cam/rockers.

Does anybody has any ideas of what to check for? Is there anything else that has to be overhauled? I'm changing the impeller and timing belt and of course engine oil and gearcase oil.

Kryck

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner 40: No compression - stuck valve?

there's a lot of fuel crystals in bowls and jets.
That is what is called ethanol salt as its from what I am told a chemical reaction from phase separated ethanol fuel, water and silica in aluminum carb body's, that why they are pitted after cleaning. If the valve is held open by rust ,remove the head and have repaired as just freeing it with so oil and taps will prematurely wear out the valve guides due to rough surface of valve stem. Make sure you remove the fuel tank and clean it thoroughly and replace the fuel line all the way to engine and on engine . Servive the entire system on engine also ..

kryck

Cadet

I did some faultfinding yesterday and I'm pretty sure that it's an inlet valve on cylinder two that doesn't fully close. I put the spark plug back in and held my hand over the inlet manifold pipe for cylinder two. I could feel both suction and blow which should indicate that the piston/rings are OK and that the inlet valve doesn't close on compression stroke (and exhaust stroke as well). I'll remove the valve cover today and check the distance between rocker arm and valve stem, a too big gap would indicate a valve that doesn't close.

Does anybody know how much the valves open on this motor? Is it enough to get hit by the pistons in a worst case scenario?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I believe most 4-strokes are "interference" engines meaning valve/piston strikes are possible if a camshaft drive belt/gear breaks. That does not mean a stuck valve would be stuck "open" far enough to be struck by the piston. It would also mean however that it cannot be "frozen solid" in the guide because the cam lobe could not rotate past that point without breaking something or causing belt slippage which affects timing.

kryck

Cadet

Removed the valve cover and the intake valve on cyl 2 was stuck open. A good thing is that though max open it didn't interfer with the piston. Anyway, couldn't get it free so I removed the cylinder head. Sprayed WD40 down the port and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then tapped it all the way back in and sprayed it again, from the spring side this time. Let it sit for yet another hour and now it moves just as eady as the other valves when rotating the cam shaft by hand.

I'm of course going to do a valve/rocker arm clearance adjustment but do you think there's anything more I should check while it's apart? Lapping, changing seals etc..

Tried to dissect the carbs but I think they're just not fixable, every jet nd nozzle is completly stuck and the small passages for air and fuel are filled with the crystallized fuel stuff.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Siince you feel the carbs are junk why not drop them into a 50:50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone. Let them soak for a couple days and then try to disassemble them. You might surprise yourself.

kryck

Cadet

Yes I will try that. Thanks.