Mariner 4 Motor and Battery Question

SDH06

Cadet
I finally purchased the Intex Mariner 4 and I have a question about the Intex Trolling Motor. Does anyone have any experience with this brand motor and is it a better choice than a Minn Kota trolling motor? Any recommendations regarding the 12volt battery, things to look for and possibly avoid. Any help would be appreciated, it is only January but I am looking forward to warmer weather and getting her in the water. Thanks for your help.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unkown model to me, I have always been a MinnKota fan for over 40 years.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Products & Services​

Intex designs, manufactures, markets and sells INTEX products in 110 countries all over the world. All INTEX products are exclusively manufactured in China with in-house quality assurance and control departments. Product safety/compliance is assured.

matt167

Captain
You can’t go wrong with a Minn Kota Endura C2 for a pool toy boat. There not much money

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I finally purchased the Intex Mariner 4 and I have a question about the Intex Trolling Motor. Does anyone have any experience with this brand motor and is it a better choice than a Minn Kota trolling motor? Any recommendations regarding the 12volt battery, things to look for and possibly avoid. Any help would be appreciated, it is only January but I am looking forward to warmer weather and getting her in the water. Thanks for your help.
I have a minn kota max 50 ordered, not arrived yet, for an excursion 4 I have. I am planning on ordering a cheapish100ah LIFePo4 battery to use with it. They are only half the weight and apparently last much longer and you can run them down much lower then a lead/acid battery. They can be had on Amazon for about $350C which doesn't seem too bad. This one is the one I plan to order: https://www.amazon.ca/AOLITHIUM-LiFePO4-Batteries-Trolling-Off-Grid

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
IMO you don’t need 50# of thrust for that. 30# will move it as fast as it can go ( you will never get it on plane ). You will deplete your battery trying to get it to go faster.

Lifepo4 batteries are good but given that it’s still somewhat unstable. I’d not cheap out.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
IMO you don’t need 50# of thrust for that. 30# will move it as fast as it can go ( you will never get it on plane ). You will deplete your battery trying to get it to go faster.

Lifepo4 batteries are good but given that it’s still somewhat unstable. I’d not cheap out.
Yeah, I was thinking a 50 was maybe overkill, but I'll probably be getting 12ft aluminum boat in the next few years so wanted something I could continue to use in the future. Also, I've never had or used a trolling motor before so its all new to me. As for the battery, I know its a roll of the dice, I'm just hoping I get lucky!