Marine Survey question

airshot

Rear Admiral
Some of the things I am reading on here are far different than my marine surveyor experiences. Back in the 80 and early 90's my brother was a marine surveyor in the great lake s region and the state of Florida. I went with him on many of his surveys to learn as much as I could about boats and drive systems. I can tell you from experience he did go thru the engine including comp tests and pressure tests on the cooling system and the outdrive. He had a little gizmo that could tell if stringers were solid on glass boats and was not afraid to crawl around up and under to look and test everything. On a 22' boat similar to my own, it was a 6-8 hr check to look over everything. He always gave the buyer and the seller a sheet of things he was going to check ahead of time, and if the seller refused he and the buyer would just walk away. On the positive side he always gave the seller a copy of the inspection in case the sale fell thru the seller had a copy to present to future buyers. A real shame if things are not done that way today. I know when I buy a boat, I tell the seller what all I am going to check over and if he agrees then we go at it, but if he refuses then I walk away. I spent about 5 plus hours checking the boat I currently own with the owner at my side. We did uncover a few minor issues which we negotiated the price on.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Another couple questions as I have been researching? Would a late 80's 22 cuddy boat have floatation foam in it ( see my other thread for exact boat)? have read anything over 20' it is not required? Also the only structural wood in the boat would be the motor stringers, transom and floor?

mr 88

Commander
Not sure of the laws in Canada but the odds are yes,its not required. A Boston Whaler is the only one that comes to mind that would have floatation and that's because of there construction method. your correct about the structural wood placement ,although a few boat lines were built with glass floors,more so in the fishing class so they would be self draining for the raw water wash down..

tpenfield

Staff member
Another couple questions as I have been researching? Would a late 80's 22 cuddy boat have floatation foam in it ( see my other thread for exact boat)? have read anything over 20' it is not required? Also the only structural wood in the boat would be the motor stringers, transom and floor?

From that era, it may be more than just the motor mount stringers that are wood.

southkogs

Staff member
Good shot that transom is wood. I would think some of your deck is wood too. Though that's all guess work.

It's a good lookin' boat. I agree the price is a little high (for my area in TN, anyway). I'd want it closer to $4k. Know anybody with an IR camera?

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Good shot that transom is wood. I would think some of your deck is wood too. Though that's all guess work.

It's a good lookin' boat. I agree the price is a little high (for my area in TN, anyway). I'd want it closer to $4k. Know anybody with an IR camera?

Ha, had to chuckle, please read when you quoted me then the above reply. The price on the boat is a little high but around here there is always uninformed yahoos with cash that know nothing about what they want to buy but " It looks Great" so it has to be good. Also our market is different fishing boats Rule up here and Tin dominates, anything else is pretty hard to come by. A Walkaround boat here of the same vintage and condition as that boat would be at least double the price, Tin boats even more. I will do some research on the thermal cameras, I might just need one for my business.